eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   ESL Games and Activities (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/esl-games-activities/)
-   -   Hamburger Stand for Kids (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/esl-games-activities/hamburger-stand-kids-41974/)

arielhud Feb 10th, 2012 09:47 am

Hamburger Stand for Kids

I don't know why it happened, but eslHQ ate my last post for this.... soooo..... here it goes again... :doh:

As a follow-up to my felt crepe shop prop, and its wild success, I made a felt hamburger shop, shown below.

I've been using basic shopkeeper dialogs again, with the addition of students asking "Do you want [topping]?" I also have the chef ask "How many?" when they say yes. It's been a rewarding game and the kids have liked it a lot.

It took a very, very long time to make, however.... the burger buns, at least. I cut cardboard rounds from pizza box tops to make the bottoms of the buns flat and hand sewed the rest. I was going to accent all of the condiments with white thread (especially the tomato) but by the time I got there I was just ready to implement it, haha~ :o

Of course, the very first day my little critics were demanding that there be a full scale menu, with drinks and french fries and bacon and egg burgers. Luckily we had the plastic foods on hand to be able to do that without me needing to rush out to the craft store for more felt!

More pics:

Next up..... a flower shop?! Or maybe a pet store/vet... :p

Jovette Mar 17th, 2012 02:43 pm

Re: Hamburger Stand for Kids

Your hamburger stand looks great!

estherruby Mar 27th, 2012 01:40 pm

what a great idea! very creative!

uscollegeranking Apr 2nd, 2012 11:03 pm

this looks really great!!

mesmark Apr 4th, 2012 07:23 am

This is fabulous! Great job on the whole thing.

I can't wait to see the flower shop :D

sonia.ahd Apr 21st, 2012 09:08 am

Wow! Love your idea - it's very creative. What if you also use other craft materials? It's just that I live in Moscow and I can't find felt anywhere (!) and the last sheets of felt were way from London from a Mister Maker Bumper Box.

arielhud May 9th, 2012 04:57 am

Hi Sonia! Thanks for the compliment.... You could also use normal fabric, or fimo (A type of clay), polymer clay, painted wood pieces, cardboard, etc.... I'd check for felt at a normal fabric store.. or use online shopping services, like Amazon or eBay. Good luck! ;)

And thank you Mesmark! I love your website... my school uses it all the time! You're a lifesaver!

zladicat May 14th, 2012 02:56 pm

Wow! This stand is amazing.
As for felt, it can be found even in Moscow :) - in craft shops where you can buy yarn, needles, embroidery kits, ribbons etc. There is "Igolochka", for example. (their website is igla.ru)