eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Dec 4th, 2010, 03:10 pm
eslHQ Member

tigerfly is on a distinguished road
Default help, please?

I am a trainee and I have been asked for one of my teaching practices to teach a class of very good upper intermediate adults for 80min lesson.

My tutors have suggested doing something on the passive voice and phrasal verbs. Preferably with an element of reading skills and a final production idea must be a communicative game.

Any suggestions for a context? Game? anything?
Unread Dec 5th, 2010, 06:09 pm
eslHQ Zealot

bread_baker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: help, please?

If I had your group and the students did not know the grammar already: I would not try to teach 2 different grammar structures in less than 1.5 hours.
If you do a search of the forums, you will probably find some posts about phrasal verbs.
If you decide to teach phrasal verbs, select some that only have 2 words.
Unread Dec 8th, 2010, 01:31 pm
eslHQ Member

Totally agree with you.
Spoke to my tutors for clarification, they said to use some phrasal verbs as challenging vocab. As I said before they are a very strong class and understand most words, but are often stumped by phrasal verbs, which is why the tutors would like me to cover a few which are appropriate to my context.
I found a great story written in the passive voice so I'll go through it and see if I can add some phrasal verbs to it.
My problem now is trying to create activities to last over an hour!
Unread Dec 10th, 2010, 12:21 am
eslHQ Zealot

I'd focus on activities that last 15-30 minutes, because you don't want the students to get bored. If my students do composition or reading, they may need an hour or more. But for other activities, I prefer shorter ones. It's better to stop an activity before the students are sick of it.
Look at this website and I think you'll find ideas for phrasal verbs.
Free Printables for Teachers | flashcards, printable games, worksheet templates, phonics materials, ESL printables, conversational activities
Unread Dec 13th, 2010, 11:13 am
eslHQ Zealot

alawton is on a distinguished road

Have your students come up with a role play that uses this grammar concept. Maybe have them talk about a house that has been built. They can describe all of the actions that have been taken to get the house up while using the passive voice. I love doing role plays because there is so much you can do with them. Have students correct the dialogue of other groups. Good luck.
Unread Dec 13th, 2010, 12:57 pm
eslHQ Member

@Bread baker - awesome site!

Bread baker and alawton,

I did break up the lesson with different things to do as you suggested. It went really well One of them a role-play. The lesson went well but only lasted 70mins. Still struggling to add enough to make a lesson that lasts 1.5 hours.

How do you recycle the language more within your lessons?
Unread Dec 13th, 2010, 03:53 pm
eslHQ Zealot

How long did the role play last? When I give students a role play, and they write the script, the activity takes at least 1.5 hours.
Unread Dec 13th, 2010, 04:51 pm
eslHQ Member

The activity was being a tour guide talking to a tourist about the history of the area. I gave the students some historical facts to share with the tourists. Once they went through all the facts, it was done.

Whats the longest you would have a single activity, without having the students get bored?
Unread Dec 15th, 2010, 10:33 pm
eslHQ Zealot

That depends on how many parts the activity has. When I gave students a scenario for a role play, made them responsible to write the script and show it to me for correction, then rehearse it, then perform it for the class, the entire thing took 1.5 hours or more. Some students love role plays. But others don't.