eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Feb 7th, 2007, 12:39 am
eslHQ Member

codman1982 is on a distinguished road
Default New game?? tell me what you think.

hi guys
I am looking into becoming a teacher of english in Shanghai just for about 1 year(not there yet. ) but I have no experience as a teacher either.
Anyway, today I thought of a game which could possibly be used for children to improve their pronounciation of letters/words. I guess it could be changed for learning other things too. Tell me what you think. I'm not sure if there is already a game like this either

You choose two children (or it can also be in teams) and each child/team starts with 20 points. Write a letter on the board and let the child try to pronounce it within 5 seconds. Write a different letter on the board for the opponent and see if they can pronounce it within 5 seconds. If the child pronounces it right within the time, 1 point is subtracted from the opponents points. If the child pronounces it right, next write a word with two letters and see if they can pronounce it within 5 seconds. If they pronounce the WORD right, then TWO points are subtracted from the opponents points. Continue on to a three letter word, and if its right, subtract THREE points, then four letters etc... If they pronounce it wrong, they go back to one letter and start again, then onto two three etc... when the childs points reach zero they are beaten and it is the next childs turn.

Can anyone see any problems with this type of game? Personally, I think children would like a game like this, they would learn the words so they could win.
Unread Feb 8th, 2007, 12:54 am
SimplyESL

simplyesl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New game?? tell me what you think.

Shanghai? That was where I went for my first teaching job! Like you, I was teaching young learners. Which company/school are you going with?
From my experience teaching phonics (I have taught from beginner to advanced - a lot!), I would change the game a little bit. Here's why:
Consonant blending is introduced later and beginners will really struggle, if at all get it. One letter sounds will be easy for advanced sts and they may get bored quickly (and finish the game really fast).

I would change it to something like this:
For beginners
1) write a letter on the board. A student gets one point for each of the following:
a)Correctly identifying it as either 'big' or 'small' (eg: a or A)
b)Producing the phonic sound
c) Saying a word that begins with the letter AND uses it's phonic sound correctly.
d) For more advanced beginners - say a sentence with their chosen word.

For more advanced:
Pretty much the same thing as above, but with letter blending.

Have fun teaching!
Unread Mar 17th, 2007, 08:51 am
eslHQ Member

cantodeluar is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys!!!
If you can use the Internet with your students, this site is very goof with phonics. There is a printable chart too. You have to subscride the site before you have all access, but is totaly free. My students love the simbols for remeber the sounds.
Pronunciation
Good luck
Hugs
Grace

Last edited by cantodeluar : Jun 11th, 2009 at 10:09 am.
Unread Jun 11th, 2009, 01:14 am
eslHQ Member

gaijin09 is on a distinguished road

Weak, and cantodeluar, looks like you need a dictionary badly, can't believe with some of the lame writing that these are posts from English 'teachers.' ??? <<simbols...symbols...remeber...remember..etc.>>
Unread Jun 11th, 2009, 10:14 am
eslHQ Member

cantodeluar is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: New game?? tell me what you think.

HI Gaijing09!
It is great to heard from you!!
I posted that massage two years ago; my English (I really hope) got some improvement since then. But Thanks for remind me what I should not do with my students, NEVER be CRITICAL in a bad way, with no grace and no kindness with them, because that can change the way they see and feel the Language and the Learning process. I'm an English teacher in Brazil and my first language is Portuguese, and I learned English by myself, but I know when people think they are perfect the history background from the other mortal ones does not matter.
I'm grateful for your hint.
Be this nice guy for ever!!
Hugs
Grace

Last edited by cantodeluar : Jun 12th, 2009 at 08:02 am.
Unread Jun 12th, 2009, 03:47 am
Clive Hawkins

clivehawkins is on a distinguished road

That sounds like a nice game, and one that can be easily adapted to suit different levels and target language. I'll certainly give it a try with my kids class today. I'll let you know how it goes.

And gaijin09, were you having a bad day yesterday? Your comments were, at best, a little harsh

Get TEFL qualified in Sardinia!:
Tefl in Sardinia
Unread Jul 21st, 2009, 09:21 pm
eslHQ Member

grumbles is on a distinguished road

Thanks I'll give it a try. At least you are making a positive contribution perhaps gaijin09 should follow your lead