eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Oct 6th, 2014, 11:16 am
eslHQ Member

alexhossbach is on a distinguished road
Default One on one ESL lesson icebreakers

Hi all,

I'll be teaching my first ever ESL lesson tomorrow and was wondering if anyone knew of any good icebreakers to get my pupil interacting with me and having fun. He is only 8 and has got quite a low English level. I'm looking ideally for something quite simple but fun, I really want him enjoying my lessons!

Many thanks in advance,

Alex
Unread Nov 19th, 2014, 03:49 am
eslHQ Member

Heikezelle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: One on one ESL lesson icebreakers

Hi Alex,

I can understand your nervousness: I have 20 years of teaching experience, nevertheless I am very nervous when meeting new students, because every student is so unique and it is not easy to meet his/her needs. What helps me a lot is being prepared well for each lesson:
- mentally: I try to be in a good mood before and when meeting the new student. I try to think of how nice being a teacher, being thankful for my special vocation.
- I try to think of how good it is I can help somebody to grow intellectually and socially by teaching him/her a foreign language and I also try to be thankful to have this special gift of teaching.
- I usually use this link: Home English Teacher to find effective and motivating activities for young children taught individually but even for older students who come for private lessons and who are totally frustrated by their studies of English at elementary or even at secondary school. There are really a lot of activities I always find and try out. I am always inpired and never run out of ideas.
Apart from interesting activities for the age-group you are looking for, you can find even good advice on teaching EFL in general and teaching children individually in particular: which is e.g. keeping a good relation with the child by praising and respecting him/her, above all: make learning fun and meanigful to the learner, appealing to all his senses and different skills.
Good Luck. Heikezelle