eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Aug 19th, 2010, 08:17 pm
eslHQ Member

sianie123 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy HELP... Kindergarten games

Hi,
I need some help, i have 40 kindergarten kids per class and 9 classes a day... Even songs like head shoulders knees and toes sends them crazy... Communicating with the children is difficult as the thai teachers if there is one, doesnt speak english either... Please somebody help as im going insane...
Unread Aug 21st, 2010, 07:14 am
eslHQ Member

liebkostdrache is on a distinguished road
Default Re: HELP... Kindergarten games

I've had groups of small kids (not that big though! poor you!) and 'Simon Says' has worked really well for me for simple beginnings.. 'jump' and for those that are true beginners, I mime the action for them while saying the word. Also, blocks and shapes they color in, but must ask for 'blue' 'red' ... one word answer was the target. whatever implement have you use. worked very well..flashcards? mimicking animal noises with the cards: 'Cow' "moooo' work well too. These worked for me with a group of very scared, very shy 4 year old kids. Do you have a puppet? Sometimes puppets work, sometimes not..they can be scary. Do you have an assistant that speaks English? Good luck to you! Sounds like you're really up against it.
Unread Aug 21st, 2010, 02:25 pm
eslHQ Zealot

Pix is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

Have you tried stories - kindergarden kids are mysteriously spell-bound by them.

First though you have to quiet them down and that can be done through a game like the "Magic Five":

This is a listening game that, once the routine has been taught to the class, allows you to quickly establish calm and regain all the children's attention. Using other listening games in this book teach the commands: 1. On your bottom, legs crossed; 2. hands in your lap; 3. look at me; 4. ears and eyes open; 5. mouths closed. Once the children know these commands say, "Give me five: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5" while the children do the sequence of actions.

For a preschool story suitable for beginners try the one from the link below, which you receive by email free:

https://teachingenglishgames.com/esl-games-for-kids/

The games book that goes with the stories is of limited use with 40 kids, but the stories should be fine with any class numbers.

Kind regards
Shelley

Last edited by Pix : Jul 3rd, 2022 at 09:32 am.
Unread Aug 21st, 2010, 04:59 pm
eslHQ Zealot

bread_baker is on a distinguished road

Try a search here at eslHQ with the word "kindergarten" and look for posts and threads that may have games and activities.
This website has flash cards. Did you think about flashcards?
Lastly, here's a website that is packed with free resources. It will take awhile to explore it, though.
Free Printables for Teachers | flashcards, printable games, worksheet templates, phonics materials, ESL printables, conversational activities
Unread Aug 22nd, 2010, 03:18 am
eslHQ Member

Hi, i have used flashcards they work for about 5 minutes... thanks for the site will look through it...
thanks again...
Unread Aug 22nd, 2010, 03:31 pm
eslHQ Zealot

bread_baker is on a distinguished road

Send me a private message so I have your email address, and I will respond with more information.
Unread Aug 22nd, 2010, 08:13 pm
eslHQ Member

Thankyou all so much for your ideas... i will give some a try today and let you know how it goes...
Unread Aug 23rd, 2010, 05:34 am
busansga

busansga is on a distinguished road

I have a much smaller kindergarten class, but they are pretty wound up. I try to mix up activities where they are really active for 5-10 mins and then quiet for 5-10 mins. One suggestion for active stuff is really simple but it tires the kids out. I make them do Vocab Jumping Jacks. Pick three words or so and have them do jumping jacks to them. Sort of call them out military style and have them repeat the words while doing the jumping jacks, continue to change the three words over and over. You'll be surprised how long this will keep them engaged and also how well it gets that physical energy out so you can get their focus after. Good luck though, I don't envy you.
Unread Nov 22nd, 2016, 05:39 am
eslHQ Member

Suja_10 is on a distinguished road

Kindergarten games should be interactive and easy for the kids. I am working in a Phoenix kindergarten as a full-time teacher. Always try to incorporate uniqueness to games so my students don’t feel bore and learn maximum things.