eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Nov 6th, 2010, 10:10 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

tinyteachinthemaking is on a distinguished road
Smile Present perfect tic-tac-toe revision game

Hello all.
I'd like to review the present perfect simple with my teenage SS, using a game of tic-tac-toe. I've seen loads of written instructions on how to do it, but quite frankly I can't make head or tail of them. Has anyone tried it here?
Could someone please provide a detailed example of how the game works?
Thank you!
Unread Nov 7th, 2010, 02:35 pm
Teacher Trainer

LouannePiccolo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Present perfect tic-tac-toe revision game

Hello,

I'm not sure which version you have seen or where you have seen it, and I suppose the game can be used in so many ways, but I use tic-tac-toe often and this is how I do it:

I often use it to teach vocabulary or reading but you can adapt it to sentence use too. Students draw up a grid of 9 squares. I write a word in each square. The aim is to get three in a row, either diagonally, horizontally or vertically, in order to win.

The first student will pick a square and make a sentence with that word in the tense they are revising or using the structure I want them to revise. If they make a mistake or can't do the task then they can't claim the square. If they are successful, they get to place a token in the square (this can be a coin, piece of wood, a dried bean or whatever you have).

There is a double task in this game. Students must try and get three in a row and block their component at the same time. This means that students don't always get to choose the square they want and may have to make an attempt on a square just to stop their component from winning. This makes the game more difficult for students who always try to do only the work they are sure they can do!

So, how can you adapt this to the present perfect? Put part of a sentence in the squares and ask students to make a full sentence in the present perfect. For example: you could put "break a leg" in a square so that students could come up with "I have broken my leg".

Louanne

Last edited by LouannePiccolo : Nov 7th, 2010 at 02:36 pm. Reason: additional information
Unread Nov 7th, 2010, 05:32 pm
Teacher Trainer

LouannePiccolo is on a distinguished road

Emily,

Thank you for your message. I did answer it but my mail can't get through to you as your account doesn't accept private messages. Have a look at changing that and I'll send it again!

Louanne
Unread Nov 8th, 2010, 03:08 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road

Here's a game that's similar but instead of getting 3 in a row, you need to get 4. The game is called Get 4.

Take a look at the game. You can use the same idea for tic-tac-toe as described above, but instead of putting words in the boxes, label the outside axis points with different combinations.
Unread Nov 8th, 2010, 03:14 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

tinyteachinthemaking is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the tip Mesmark. Louanne, try sending me the PM again; I've edited my account settings, Duh, I feel so silly!