eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   ESL Games and Activities (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/esl-games-activities/)
-   -   Private classes for adults - Help! (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/esl-games-activities/private-classes-adults-help-16419/)

annajunior4 May 16th, 2010 01:02 pm

Private classes for adults - Help!

Hi there,

My name is Anna and I'm an English teacher from Spain. Recently, I've been having some problems with my private classes with adults. The thing is that I usually have only one student, and they want to speak English fast, and they don't want to study a lot of grammar. Honestly, I've run out of ideas and I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks in advance and hope I can help you in the future!

Anna

bread_baker May 16th, 2010 03:28 pm

Re: Private classes for adults - Help!

I emphasize to my students that correct pronunciation is more important than speed.
Do your students have careers? What careers? Or are they preparing for careers? The more you make your lessons customized to the students and their futures, the happier they will be.
Adults appreciate WHY they need to learn certain things. Give them reasons. It helps.

alawton May 17th, 2010 09:31 pm

If they are private classes you can gear them more towards what the student wants. Find out what he or she is interested in and talk about that. Set aside some time for grammar, but spend just as much time in a conversation type activity where you are discussing something he likes. He will pick up a lot from your responses. Good luck!

annajunior4 May 18th, 2010 12:58 am

Most of my adult students are unemployed at the moment, because of the recession, and they are studying a masters or something like that. However, the main thing is that they want to learn English so they can travel and speak English just to be understood. I usually teach them typical expressions and travelling vocabulary, but I find it difficult to deal with it without grammar.

Thanks anyway, your advice was very helpful!!!!

Anna

lady seagull May 20th, 2010 08:47 am

Hello Anna,
Are you still having problems? I am also a teacher in Spain, whereabouts are you?
I have some very good listening and speaking books which teach grammer and pronunciation. Let me know if you are interested and maybe we could swap ideas.
Good luck
Su

bread_baker May 21st, 2010 06:39 pm

Tell them why they need grammar. Teach grammar. Then give speaking activities, scripted or unscripted, using the grammar.

AC_in_Korea Jun 23rd, 2010 07:12 pm

Can you explain to the students that if they speak Englsih too quickly in any other country, they may not be understood?
An idea came to me as I read your post -
Write two sentences on the board: I want some chicken. I chicken.
Explain to them what "I chicken" seems to mean. (They are saying I am a chicken, or I'm scared)
Maybe then they will see the importance of grammar, and it can be funny too.
I feel like these sentences aren't the best example, but hopefully my point comes across.
Please let us know what works for you.