eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jun 14th, 2009, 09:31 pm
eslHQ Member

ckw25 is on a distinguished road
Default Activities/Games for Large Kindergarten Classes

Hello!

I have 3 large Kindergarten classes- my 5 year olds (18 students), (which is fine), but my 6 year olds- (36 students)!!! and my 7 year olds (30 students)! Each class is 30 minutes.

I do have my Korean co-teachers to settle the kids down but they do not speak English. My constant challenge is trying to find games or activities that can include a large majority of students without the rest of the class feeling bored and getting really distracted.

On the other hand, I have played fun, physical games, but the students can get really overexcited and it can get chaotic fast.

I have played Bingo-which works well but I was hoping to find some other ideas. I have tried to split the class into 2 with the Korean co-teacher for certain activities but the lack of communication makes it difficult.

They are high energy kids and love games but I am having a hard time striking the right balance.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Unread Jun 17th, 2009, 09:22 am
eslHQ Member

softballwidow is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Activities/Games for Large Kindergarten Classes

I teach English classes for Japanese children who range in age from 3-15. I purchased about 20 fly swatters, and then printed, and laminated multiple sets of small flashcards. This past week I was teaching professions, so I split my class of 15 kids, into groups of 5. I then gave each group of stack of 30 cards (15 pairs of different professions). I have them lay them face up, and then I call out a name of one of the cards. Whoever slaps the card first adds it to their pile. I repeat this game a couple of times, and they love it. At the end of each game we add up how many cards they each have, and we see who has the most.

The following week instead of having pairs of cards, I will replace a picture card with the actual word. For example, I would have 1 card with a bus driver on it, and another card with the word bus driver on it. I tell them that the picture cards are worth 1 point, and the word cards are worth 2 points.

Before we play each time, I warn them that if they hit their fellow classmates with the fly swatters they have to sit out. I have some rowdy boys, and have never had to make any of them sit out because they all want to play so badly.

I hope this helps.
Unread Jun 25th, 2009, 10:13 pm
eslHQ Member

taiwanenglish is on a distinguished road

Hi!

My kindy classes love a good game of red light green light. Have them line up at the back, say green light, and let them walk quickly at you. Red light stops them. Hurry up / Hold on (Wait a minute) also does the same while teaching them useful phrases.

SELF ADVERTISING REMOVED BY ADMIN. PLEASE KEEP SELF ADVERTISING IN YOUR SIGNATURE.

Last edited by Eric : Jun 26th, 2009 at 07:55 am.
Unread Jun 26th, 2009, 07:14 am
eslHQ Member

ckw25 is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys-these were very helpful!
Unread Jun 30th, 2009, 02:39 am
eslHQ Member

davidsensei is on a distinguished road

if you still need ideas, check my kindergarten game of the week thread.