eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Dec 5th, 2008, 02:26 am
eslHQ Member

Ster is on a distinguished road
Unhappy games for small rowdy kids?

Hi! I am new here and I need help. I teach a large class of young kids (3-6). Each class is 2 hours long which is way too long for such young kids. Plus the parents stand at the glass window and watch which causes the kids to misbehave even more. Bascially, class control is almost nil. The only things that keep the interest are games and games and songs. Oh, and they are mostly boys with low attention spans. I've done all the normal games and flash card related games but I am running out of ideas. I taught Kindergarten for 2 years but I have never seen such awfully ill-behaved kids before.
Any ideas please?

Going crazy.....
Unread Dec 5th, 2008, 06:48 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

ICAL_Pete is on a distinguished road
Default Re: games for small rowdy kids?

Have you tried miming? Miming can also be a useful technique to get your students attention and keep them involved.

This ICALwiki article explains how

Miming in Class - ICALwiki

See also my post on the Teaching ESL forum under the “Frustrated Teacher” thread.
Unread Dec 8th, 2008, 07:50 am
eslHQ Member

KathrynBrooks1 is on a distinguished road

I'm new at teaching young kids as well, but what I've found to be the most successful is to praise, praise, praise the positive behavior that kids display and quickly and quietly correct those that are off track.

PS - TPR works really well, but can be tiring for the teacher. Look up TPR or buy Asher's book. Well worth the effort to learn the skill. Best of luck.
Unread Dec 8th, 2008, 10:14 am
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote KathrynBrooks1 View Post
I'm new at teaching young kids as well, but what I've found to be the most successful is to praise, praise, praise the positive behavior that kids display and quickly and quietly correct those that are off track.
I couldn't agree more! I've had great results praising the rowdy, attention seeking students when they do something good. In one case, one rowdy student turned into an angel student. The transformation was amazing!
Unread Dec 9th, 2008, 02:12 am
eslHQ Member

Ster is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your ideas. I've noticed the naughtiest kids in my classes are actually the smartest. They're just bored because the books are way too easy. The school gives me one page with about three words on it (ie. apple, banana, orange) and expects me to make a 2 hour class out of it. I've found the flashcards on this site very helpful. Thank you so much!
Unread Dec 12th, 2008, 11:15 am
eslHQ Member

ghazala aftab is on a distinguished road

Hi!
Try playing 'Simon say.....' & silence game .

Take care.
ghazala
Unread Jan 30th, 2009, 06:20 am
eslHQ Member

Dawn Andersen-Lux is on a distinguished road

Playing "Loud or quiet" is a good way to grab the attention of younger children, teach behaviour-related vocabulary and, at the same time get them to let off steam.
Get the children to shout "loud", as loud as they can. Ask them to shout it louder, then louder. Then get them to whisper "quiet" a few times, as quietly as they can.
Each time tell them to say it more quietly, until it is barely audible, then get them to shout "loud" again.
You can usually repeat this excercise quite a few times without them getting bored. It helps pad out a lesson when you run out of ideas, the little ones have picked up on that and getting restless.
You can also teach quite a lot of different words around the "quiet" & "loud" theme with this game.
Unread Jan 30th, 2009, 06:10 pm
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote Dawn Andersen-Lux View Post
Playing "Loud or quiet" is a good way to grab the attention of younger children, teach behaviour-related vocabulary and, at the same time get them to let off steam.
That's always a great focusing activity

Here is a podcast on teaching children and there's some info in there on crowd control
ESL Teacher Talk » Blog Archive » Teaching Children vs. Teaching Adults

Here's another one and the guest Richard discusses some of his methods for handling large groups and the game of the week is a 'game' to get students into groups.
ESL Teacher Talk » Blog Archive » Getting ‘Genki’ With It
Unread Apr 17th, 2009, 09:26 am
eslHQ Member

mandyloo is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: games for small rowdy kids?

Hi!
I have them play 'Blindfold'.
Just get a cotton scarf or big hankie to tie around the kids eyes (more if there are several) Then dictate anything from animals & clothes to the sentences in a story for them to draw on the whiteboard.
Students really enjoy seeing the 'mess' they've made when they take the blindfold off. Good for practicing prepositions too!. If the class is big, you can have them make a picture in teams then vote whose was the craziest!
Unread Apr 17th, 2009, 12:01 pm
eslHQ Member

Rafinha is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: games for small rowdy kids?

Hi!
I like the games 'slow reveal', 'disappearing cards' and 'Kim’s game'.
-Slow reveal: Cover a flashcard with cardboard larger than the size of the flashcard. Reveal the card little by little. When the students discover what the picture is, they raise their hands and say it.
-Disappearing cards: Students observe a set of flashcards for a minute. Then they close their eyes and the teacher makes one card disappear. Call a student to say what is missing.
-Kim's game: Show students a sequence of six cards and place them on the board facing down. Number all the cards. Divide students into 2 groups. A member of group A tosses a dice and names the card that matches the number on the dice. If correct, the group scores a point and the card is taken from the game.
Well, these games are really good, children love them! I hope you like it!
Unread Nov 3rd, 2011, 11:18 pm
eslHQ Member

turtleman is on a distinguished road

[quote=KathrynBrooks1;19044]I'm new at teaching young kids as well, but what I've found to be the most successful is to praise, praise, praise the positive behavior that kids display and quickly and quietly correct those that are off track.

I agree with this too! There is nothing more effective then show them the right actions through praise. I have a team system in most of my classes. Either boys and girls or teams (A,B,C etc.) Especially in larger classes this works really well. The students in the team who are being naught or inattentive will get roused on by their team mates.
Unread Feb 22nd, 2012, 04:30 am
eslHQ Member

jhonny1989 is on a distinguished road

There are two games; both are really interesting to play. Double Digits Math Game: it’s an educational game for kids. Oggy and the Cockroaches Game: best game for kids.
Unread May 19th, 2012, 02:14 pm
eslHQ Member

Miss Lucy is on a distinguished road

Hi! I'm Lucy and I teach English to children of this age.
I have many post on my blog about activities I develop with them.
Teaching Clothes:
Miss Lucy's Teaching Fun: Clothes and more - Part 1

Introducing time - circle game:
Miss Lucy's Teaching Fun: CIRCLE GAMES - The Shoe Behind You

And many more. Take a look at the blog, I'm sure you'll find it interesting.
Miss Lucy's Teaching Fun
Unread May 22nd, 2012, 09:06 am
Teacher Trainer

LouannePiccolo is on a distinguished road

So, yikes, 2 hours is way, way too long for this age group! I have to agree but seeing as you're stuck with it, the only way out is through
I understand that you have tried a variety of games and there have been some excellent ideas posted by other teachers so I won't add to them. However, have you thought about storytelling? Children love listening to stories and you'll be amazed at how much they can understand with a little vocabulary and lots of pictures.

Once you've drilled the words the school has given you and maybe played some flashcard games, could you put them into a simple story with pictures? For ex: if your children already know colours and animals from previous lessons, you could always tell a story like Dr Seuss's "One fish, two fish, three fish, blue fish". You can even make up your own story and get the children to draw the pictures or use a book that already exists (like the one I mentioned above). Instead of just reading it, you could make mistakes while reading and say something like "One red fish" while pointing to the blue fish because children love to point out "no, one BLUE fish". They can count the fish with you and even touch them or point to them while you are reading. The trick is to get them involved in the telling of the story so that they remain interested and have fun while learning.

Variety is the keyword here. Try and divide your lesson into some flashcard activites, noisy games, storytelling, quiet miming games and then maybe a little worksheet involving listening, not reading. It could be a picture of a zoo with animals and you could say "the horse is red, the fish is blue" so that the children colour in according to what you are saying.

Hope this helps!
Unread Jul 29th, 2012, 09:15 am
eslHQ Member

Miss Lucy is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: games for small rowdy kids?

Quote:
Quote Miss Lucy View Post
Hi! I'm Lucy and I teach English to children of this age.
I have many post on my blog about activities I develop with them.
Teaching Clothes:
Miss Lucy's Teaching Fun: Clothes and more - Part 1

Introducing time - circle game:
Miss Lucy's Teaching Fun: CIRCLE GAMES - The Shoe Behind You

And many more. Take a look at the blog, I'm sure you'll find it interesting.
Miss Lucy's Teaching Fun
I've just posted a new game I was taught during the summer camp. It's really entertaining!!!

THE BALL GOES TO...
Unread Oct 17th, 2012, 05:52 pm
eslHQ Member

crisdebern@gmail.com is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: games for small rowdy kids?

I would like to help you but I need more information.
First: Why the parents are watching. Close the window or put poster in order to cover the glass. Of course they will understand.
Second: How many kids do you have in your class? Are they seating or on the floor?
I had a class with multiple ages and my resource was using props for the little ones, gloves, toys, pieces of paper and I change the activities every 7/8 minutes. Two hours is too long without a break and depending on the group you should have an assistant for the little ones. When they were too rowdy I play train around the school and they were showing me the different words they learn. You will have some advance or quiet student that prefer to write or color. Have them using a folder personalize and in that way you will have the group in different activities. Hope this help. Let me know. Good luck! Maria
Unread Aug 13th, 2013, 01:31 am
eslHQ Member

ElleCampbell is on a distinguished road
Default Games for small rowdy kids?

thanks for Introducing this new Game.

Funny Games