eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   ESL Games and Activities (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/esl-games-activities/)
-   -   Storybook Board Games (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/esl-games-activities/storybook-board-games-38903/)

arielhud Nov 19th, 2011 10:08 pm

Storybook Board Games

I've recently decided to start a series of board games meant to drill in the vocabulary included in classic children's stories. I usually have classes of 4-6 kindergartners, and it's always frustrating when board games include only pieces for 2-4 players, thereby nullifying any possible way I could have used them.

My first project was a storybook board game for Little Red Riding Hood. The story has a lot of really useful vocabulary, and is well known throughout the world, so it was a good starting point.

Here is the completed board and pieces:

The Game:

The rules are relatively simple. The objective of the game is to get to Grandma’s house (and instead of counting squares, EFL students are encouraged to say the vocabulary illustrated on the space). If a child lands on a flower space, they lose a turn (since LRRH stopped along the way to pick flowers). However, before the game starts, flowers are lain all across the board like so:

When a child loses a turn, they take a flower of their choosing. The last curve of the board, where the wolf is, is the challenge. If a child lands on the wolf and has a flower, they’re safe. If they don’t have a flower, they have to return to the space with the Woodcutter, since he was the one that saved Little Red Riding Hood in the story. The children really seem to enjoy playing this game, to the point that many children get upset if they don’t collect a flower before getting to the wolf’s side of the board.

It's been a very useful game, both for vocabulary, and getting the children interested in playing fairly. To most of my kids, the point of the game isn't to get to Grandma's house, it's to get a flower so they can cover his image with a flower as they pass him. It's been very fun!

Yiyawei Nov 20th, 2011 09:01 pm

Re: Storybook Board Games

Loving it:)

roja123 Nov 22nd, 2011 06:48 am

This looks wonderful! Your children are lucky to have such an enthusiastic teacher!

arielhud Nov 24th, 2011 08:11 am

Thank you!! The next one I want to make is a board for the Three Little Pigs. Will post pics if I actually end up finishing it!

uscollegeranking Dec 1st, 2011 08:14 pm

This is great! I like it

amberlewis Feb 9th, 2012 06:33 am

This game looks very pretty.If i will become a mother in future i surely recommend these kinds of games to my child.

arielhud Feb 10th, 2012 09:31 am

Thanks a lot :) If I make another board game, I'll have the sense to scan the pieces beforehand so that it can be a printable resource here ^^;;;; I didn't realize my school had a scanner when I was putting this one together >__>;;;

chocomaniac5475 May 17th, 2012 12:19 am

Wow this is great~!! >< I'm teaching a little 7 year old korean kid for the first time and I wasn't sure what kind of games I should use... Will it be okay if I make a game based on your photos? Just for using in my classes nothing else~!^^

arielhud May 21st, 2012 10:06 pm

chocomaniac- of course, feel free! :)

LouannePiccolo May 22nd, 2012 09:12 am

That's a lovely board game! Thank you for sharing :)

jasontsing Jun 17th, 2012 01:30 am

wonderful game for kids.

Ni Ni Aye Aug 6th, 2013 11:08 pm

It's fun

Thanks a lot for this wonderful game and I am planning to share it with other teachers. Please wish me a luck!:)