eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   ESL Games and Activities (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/esl-games-activities/)
-   -   Videos for classroom use (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/esl-games-activities/videos-classroom-use-37177/)

Denis DNT Oct 17th, 2011 09:08 pm

Videos for classroom use

Sorry for posting twice. I hit on the Forms button instead of Forums.

These are just videos for classroom use I have uploaded onto my website. They are short videos mostly around 5minutes. They vary from nature, society to excerpts from movies and documentaries. Perfect for a classroom with a computer with Internet connection set up. An overhead projector would be ideal. You can use these videos for activities like brainstorming before a lesson, listening comprehension, class projects, essay writing, debates, etc. Recommended for students with at least an intermediate level of English.
Click here to view the videos on my website.
NB: Unfortunately you will have to take 2minutes to sign up in order to view the videos and have the ability to also grab the embed codes for use on your own blog or website.
Cheers!

Denis DNT Nov 13th, 2011 11:17 pm

Re: Videos for classroom use

More videos have been added this week

arielhud Nov 24th, 2011 08:54 am

It's an interesting resource, but the layout of the page is really confusing~ It'd be great if there was a more organized way to browse these!

Denis DNT Nov 25th, 2011 04:15 am

Agreed Ariel.
We're working on it and hopefully there will be a better layout soon.
Have you visited the download center yet?

arielhud Dec 8th, 2011 09:35 am

I did~ it's nice ^_^ I also like your quiz section. The recent animal idioms quiz gave me material for one of my classes~ thanks!

Denis DNT Dec 8th, 2011 07:31 pm

You're welcome.
Some teachers on the site sent in complaints that the quiz embarrassed them. They don't want the results displayed while students want their results shown to others because they want to show off. I don't know how to handle that.
Part 2 of the same quiz will be out before Christmas.
Cheers!

arielhud Dec 8th, 2011 09:09 pm

Well, I got 10 out of 10 easily. They're very simple idioms. XP Unless it would be easy to have teachers check a box on their profile that allows them to make all test results private or public, just leave it. There are a lot of people who just need to take the lesson to heart and learn a bit more. There's nothing wrong with not knowing everything, even as a teacher. That or you could have the page before the results show the person's score (without saying which they got wrong) that asks for confirmation on whether they want it published or not, like on Facebook quizzes. Just some thoughts :)

Denis DNT Dec 8th, 2011 09:44 pm

I'd love to do that if I could. Unfortunately I am using a third party script to run the quizzes and there is very little customization I can do on the settings. I gave a hint in the message I sent out.
Personally as a teacher I really don't mind missing a point in a quiz. We don't have to be genuises, do we? I think teachers should find that useful.
I will leave a warning in the next message when the next quiz comes out.
If you have some nice stuff you woul dlike to have sent out as a quiz, always feel free to send it in for publishing.
Cheers!

arielhud Dec 8th, 2011 11:18 pm

No, we don't have to be geniuses. One of the best things about life is that you can continue learning your whole life and still not know everything ^_^

I'll think about it. I'll have to browse your quiz section more to make sure I don't send you duplicates~ XD

Cheers!

Denis DNT Apr 1st, 2012 10:10 pm

We are running a speech contest now on the site and these learners have really made a lot of efforts to come up with these speeches. I wish more teachers were there to encourage them.