eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Apr 6th, 2006, 05:02 am
ESL Teacher

Frauke is on a distinguished road
Default Noughts & Crosses - for pronunciation

One of my favourite games as you can play it with ANYTHING. As I got quite frustrated with the pronunciation of my Spanish students, I decided to play "Noughts & Crosses" for pronunciation practice.

You surely know that they always get the same words wrong, especially when they just chat away. So I have started noting down the words they get wrong.

I put the chart on the board and fill them in with the very words. Class will be devided into two teams. They take turns to pronounce the chosen word. When they get it right I mark the field with the according sign, if not, the other team can try. I go back and forth about four times. If they don't get it right, I tell them the right pronunciation and replace the word by a different one.

In the teams, they are not allowed to discuss the pronunciation and they also have to take turns so that everybody finally gets a chance and not only the one who is good at pronunciating anyway.

It's unbelievable what effort they suddenly make to get it right. I found them cracking up about their own mis-pronunciations. We have so much fun and you can play it with any level.

I hope my explanation makes sense...

Frauke

PS: I need to say that my classes are rather small (3-8 people) and that I teach adults in companies. I'm not sure if it also works with bigger classes.
Unread Apr 6th, 2006, 05:42 am
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noughts & Crosses - for pronunciation

this sounds really fun! i am sure it would be appropriate for any age. i'll play with my uni students soon.

thanks for sharing!