eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Dec 27th, 2004, 08:06 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

Happy Camper is on a distinguished road
Question NON-ESL work in Japan

I've heard that foreigners can get many kinds of work in Japan, not just ESL work. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Thanks in advance
HC
Unread Dec 27th, 2004, 08:12 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

i2i is on a distinguished road

Yeah, thats correct. Although there are a lot of teaching jobs in Japan you can also get telemarketing and other business related jobs. Check out the list of jobs here: http://www.gaijinpot.com/job_search.php

Good luck
i2i
Unread Feb 19th, 2005, 12:13 pm
eslHQ Enthusiast

chocopie is on a distinguished road

You might be interested to check out this site . It's a blog written by a Canadian living in Japan. Actually he's recently moved back to Canada and seems to be neglecting the site, but if you read back through the archived posts you'll read about some of the jobs he and his wife had there. I believe he did a lot of computer related stuff, and his wife did something editing related. He even had a part-time gig as a "wedding minister", since I guess it's popular to have a western minister to go with your western wedding in Japan. A very interesting site, gives alot of insight on life in Japan as well as providing some great photography.

Or if you're photogenic, you might find work as a model
Unread Feb 20th, 2005, 06:01 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

Happy Camper is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info chocopie!
Unread Apr 10th, 2005, 09:44 am
eslHQ Member

tjg_marantz is on a distinguished road

Hello,
Just a little background to start. My wife and I are thinking of going to Korea or Japan so that she can teach english. I have no B.ed or any other Bachelor's degree so teaching is out of the question. I was wondering if anyone had any other links with jobs for non-japanese speaking, non-teaching foreginers.
Also, I was hoping some of you might share how your significant other, who is not a teacher, got their job. I am not nervous at finding a job per se but of course it is all a bit daunting. My native tongue is french but my english is perfect without the slightest bit of accent. I am sure this can't hurt me but is it really any kind of benefit?
Any other thoughts you may have, I am all ears

Thank you,
Laurent
Unread Apr 10th, 2005, 05:13 pm
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the site, tjg_marantz!

It looks like you will have a few options. For non-teaching jobs, check out these sites:

http://www.jobsinjapan.com/
http://www.daijob.com/dj/en/index.html
http://www.japanjoblink.com/japan/j_joblist.asp

You could also try private tutoring in French or English or both. I'm not sure how the pay is in Japan but it would be worth checking out.

Private tutoring is illegal in Korea but very profitable. Many people do it and most never have any problems. In Korea this might be your only option. You could try to get some editing work but those jobs are hard to find. There are a few French Institues where you could ask about work/tutoring. here is a link to help you get started with that : http://www.aftaejon.co.kr/alliance.html other than that, there is not that much non-teaching work in korea, except in factories.

Let us know how it goes. I am personally very interested in the possibilities of Japan.

Later
Eric

Last edited by Eric : Apr 10th, 2005 at 05:31 pm.
Unread Apr 10th, 2005, 08:03 pm
eslHQ Member

Thank you very much for the links! Right now we are leaning towards Japan but Korea is very much in the running. Although the costs in Japan seem higher, the higher level of organization(at least apparent higher level) seems to me like a good thing for first-timers. Also, renting your own place and owning your work visa seem enticing.

I still have to look into it but would you happen to know if, as in Korea, private turoting is illegal in Japan? I am guessing yes but I still have to look ino it
Unread Apr 10th, 2005, 08:43 pm
Administrator

I am not 100% on this but i believe private tutoring is illegal in Japan unless you claim/pay tax off the money you make from them. That being said, many people still do them.

Japan might be an easier place to "ease" into asia. it seems very organized to me though i have never worked there, just traveled. it seems more western/european in that it is a very creative and artistic place. Korea is not so much. Judging from your "World Map" it looks like you have been to both Japan and Korea so you probably already have a good sense of what to expect.

visas: yes, i think it will be easier to get a working visa in japan for non-teaching related stuff. in korea you are much more limited.

housing: we got our own housing this year and it was relatively painless. as long as one person (ie. your wife) has a legit visa you can pick/rent your own place. i like it much better that way though it will help if you have someone that can help you at the realators.

hour for hour you can save more money in korea. the cost of living is low and so is transportation within the country. not so for japan. i know some people who just live off their private lesson money and never touch a single Won (penny) of their salary, which is at least 1700USD/mth.

what are you basing your decision on? ease of life? convenience? money making potential? adventure/experience?

either way, you will enjoy yourself in both places. they both have unique qualities about them to make everyday interesting. (im speaking mostly for korea because i've never lived in japan though i expect that it would be just as interesting but in a different way).

later
eric
Unread Apr 10th, 2005, 10:25 pm
eslHQ Member

Well this is my wife's dream(teaching in Asia) and I am all too happy to come along and find myself some work. I would be perfectly happy doing privates if they are legal if I claim them. We are not looking to get rich but also not looking to dig ourselves into a whole, hehe. From what I understand, Japan is more expensive in the short term but the money making possibilities in the long run are more lucratice than Korea. Of course, I am sure a lot of people can make cases for both, hehe.

My wife is more affected to change in her life so that's why I am thinking Japan, less of a shock than Korea. Maybe we are kidding ourselves thinking either is 'easier' than the other but it is a factor, while being foreign, Japan, seems less foreign than Korea(hope that made sense).

We are not party animals so I am not worried about the cost of the night life in Japan, we just don't go out really. So although we will go out, it won't be to do much that is expensive without somekind of reward(seeing temples interests me a lot more than bimbos in bars).

As long as we have enough for the apartment, food, clothing, utilities and some side trips, we are happy. We want to either make a bit of money or come out even, that's pretty much it. Even tough it out the first year or so and than maybe my wife will be able to make more money than she could in Korea. Who knows.

Now I just have to see about bringing our cats. The biggest hurdle I am sure
Unread Apr 10th, 2005, 10:27 pm
eslHQ Member

Quote:
Judging from your "World Map" it looks like you have been to both Japan and Korea so you probably already have a good sense of what to expect.
I think you may be looking at the wrong map, hehe. I haven't been to either place. Singapore, Malaysia, yes. Korea, Japan, no.
Unread Apr 10th, 2005, 10:43 pm
Administrator

Quote:
Quote tjg_marantz
My wife is more affected to change in her life so that's why I am thinking Japan, less of a shock than Korea. Maybe we are kidding ourselves thinking either is 'easier' than the other but it is a factor, while being foreign, Japan, seems less foreign than Korea(hope that made sense).
I think you are right. I imagine Japan would be an easier (less foreign) place to live. i totally makes sene.

Quote:
Quote tjg_marantz
(seeing temples interests me a lot more than bimbos in bars).
Me, too!

Quote:
Quote tjg_marantz
As long as we have enough for the apartment, food, clothing, utilities and some side trips, we are happy.
This, IMO, will not be difficult at all. Most people at the very minimum break even. It's pretty easy to save some money.

Quote:
Quote tjg_marantz
Now I just have to see about bringing our cats. The biggest hurdle I am sure
I was just looking at bringing our dog to Japan. it looks like they just recently made it a lot easier if you don't mind implanting a chip of some sort into your cat. i guess its for tracking purposes. From what i read, do check it out for yourself though, you need to have a chip implanted in the pet and then have them checked at a vet very soon before you depart for Japan. I know there are some other things you need to do but those are the main ones. From what i read it seemed pretty straightforward for keeping your pet out of extended quarantine.

eric
Unread Apr 11th, 2005, 07:58 am
eslHQ Member

yeah i looked into that as well and with the chip and checkup, they are free to go after 12 hours I think it is. Def something we would do. Now I just gotta check the classifieds online(if there are any) to see if most apartments accept pets or not, hehe, could be fun.

thanks for your thoughts and links on all this. It's quite daunting to say the least!
Unread Apr 11th, 2005, 08:04 am
Administrator

Good luck and let us know how things go!
Unread Apr 11th, 2005, 08:50 am
eslHQ Member

But of course
Unread Apr 11th, 2005, 09:10 am
eslHQ Member

takahiro is on a distinguished road

Hello tjg_marantz. My name is Takahiro from Japan. I heard that you wanted to get a not English teaching job in Japan. I think you can find a job as an English teacher. Also I think you can be a French teacher. In Japan, there are a lot of language school. Japanese are interested not only in English but also in other languages like French or Chinese.

http://www.nova.ne.jp/global/index.html
This is the biggest language school named Nova. I've met some Nova teachers, some of them teach only during summer time. And I think Bachelor's degree doesn't matter a lot. There are many other schools in Japan, I think you could try it.

I think it is not easy for foreigners to find other kinds of jobs. If you know much about computer programming and Japanese language, you could be a programmar.

umm, I'm sorry, I'm not helpful. But this website would help you to know about visa or something.→ http://www.tfemploy.go.jp/index_en.html

In Japan, you can eat any food from foreign countries like Italy, France, India, Mexico, and etc etc. So I think there is no problem about food. I think there are a lot of disgusting things. But things prices are less expensive than most foreigners think. I think London is as twice expensive as Tokyo.

Well, if you would have some questions about Japanese life, you can ask me.

Good luck!
Unread Apr 11th, 2005, 10:36 am
eslHQ Member

Thank you Takahiro! The amount of information is quite large and I am trying to assimilate it all one thing at a time

You have both been very helpful and I will make sure to keep updates going and I thank you very much for answering my numerous questions