eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/general-chat/)
-   -   Best places to visit in Korea (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/general-chat/best-places-visit-korea-148/)

fishead soup Apr 24th, 2005 06:28 pm

Best places to visit in Korea

The best places to visit in Korea are

Ulleong do island- This is an island that is quite near the disputed Dok-to. Simply go to Pohang(steel city) and take a fairy. Typhoons are frequent around here double check to see if a ferry is available. Great rock formations.

Hong-do island- Go to Mokpo and take the ferry. Again double check to see if there will be a typhoon. Near by is Haksando anotherv island. Take the ferry around the island and some people will deliver freash Sashimi to you very cheap.

Kang-Chun- Near Cheoncheon lovely cliffs surrounding a river. Climp the hill and you find a nice waterefall. You can rent a bike.

Don't go to Nami island in Kapyoung. This place is really overated. Its only popular because on a T.V show, Its difficult to get to and dead boring.

Eric Apr 24th, 2005 06:51 pm

I have a couple more to add.

Geoje Do (Island) on the southern coast. When you get into the national park there is very little development but you can still find a few places to stay. Totally beautiful!

Also on the south coast near Yeosu is Hyang Gil Am (Temple). It sits high on a cliff overlooking the sea. You have to walk through narrow passages of rock to get around the temple grounds.

Notable Mentions:
Im a big fan of Hahoe Folk Village in Andong
Though its always busy, Songnisan is my favorite mountain

fishead soup Apr 24th, 2005 06:59 pm

I think Dok-to island is worth a visit it"s that desputed island with Japan. I'm not a ban fan of Korean temples once you'll seen one you've pretty much seen them all. The temples in Thailand are much more impressive

Eric Apr 24th, 2005 07:04 pm

Quote:

Quote fishead soup
I'm not a ban fan of Korean temples once you'll seen one you've pretty much seen them all.

I agree with you there, but Hyanggilam is different. I was very tired of temples by the time I had seen this one. Just the fact that its on the side of a mountain overlooking the sea is amazing.

fishead soup Apr 24th, 2005 07:07 pm

Quote:

Quote Oreamnos
I agree with you there, but Hyanggilam is different. I was very tired of temples by the time I had seen this one. Just the fact that its on the side of a mountain overlooking the sea is amazing.

Is there a Buddah carved into the cliff

Eric Apr 24th, 2005 07:07 pm

I dont remember seeing that. Could have been though...

fishead soup Apr 24th, 2005 07:09 pm

That island lookes like a good place to eat (San- Nokji). Have you tried that?

Eric Apr 24th, 2005 07:12 pm

Fresh seafood? Right?

fishead soup Apr 24th, 2005 07:24 pm

Quote:

Quote Oreamnos
Fresh seafood? Right?

Live and wiggling octopus. Actually there are some who will swollow the whole octopus still alive. If those suction cups gte a hold of your throught it can be fatal. One Korean became a Darwin award from that.

Eric Apr 24th, 2005 07:45 pm

I also heard an urban legend that a foreigner went down that way, too.

As for me, I don't eat anything that is still alive :p

fishead soup Apr 24th, 2005 07:47 pm

Have you tried dog soup?

Eric Apr 24th, 2005 07:55 pm

That's another never have, never will.

fishead soup Apr 24th, 2005 08:54 pm

Quote:

Quote Oreamnos
That's another never have, never will.

Well you've been to Thailand did you eat the bugs

Eric Apr 24th, 2005 11:19 pm

Tried half a deep-fried grasshopper. Tried bundaeggi yet?

fishead soup Apr 24th, 2005 11:43 pm

I,ve seen the stuff disgusting. Brought several cans of the stuff to Canada. It makes a great dare. Btw the people who have tasted it claim it tastes as vile as it looks. I pop my daily calcium pill so I don't have to eat Melchi.

little sage Apr 25th, 2005 09:43 am

I vote for temples

3 Attachment(s)
I have been to many Korean temples, and I never get tired of seeing them. I love the incense smell, the thick wooden floors, the flowergardens and the fact that the buildings are never gigantic, but instead have a perfect shape. Teal is not my favourite colour, though.

So for a nice place to visit I would recommend Naksan Sa (Temple) in Naksan Provincial Park on the north-east coast, east of Soraksan. There is a very tall statue of the Goddess of Mercy, and gorgeous views of the ocean from a cliffside temple building. If you arrive early it's a perfect place to watch the sunrise, but don't expect to be alone, even mid-week in winter. The main temple has a breathtakingly complex sculpture all of wood.

Even if temples are not your thing, the oceanview is worth seeing. :)

Eric Apr 25th, 2005 09:45 am

There's something about an ocean view that make things so much better!

little sage Apr 25th, 2005 09:56 am

Other Things to See In Kangwon Province

If you go by car, within a few hours' drive of Soraksan and Sokcho there are some caves, Hwanseondonggul near the town of Sancheok, which were pretty cool. First you climb up a mountain, then you enter the cave from up there, and walk on trails through 60+ minutes worth of underground rock formations. If you spend the full hour or so there, you will begin to see shapes in the rock.

On our vacation 2 years ago, along the road to get to the caves, we passed a massive new museum of geology that was not yet finished being built. I'm sure it's completed now, and it looked to be a grand grand place. I should really find out the name of it, if I intend to go back.

Also, somewhere along the coastal highway we passed a North Korean spy submarine-turned tourist attraction which you walk through. The fun never stops in the north east!

fishead soup Apr 25th, 2005 07:53 pm

Quote:

Quote little sage
If you go by car, within a few hours' drive of Soraksan and Sokcho there are some caves, Hwanseondonggul near the town of Sancheok, which were pretty cool. First you climb up a mountain, then you enter the cave from up there, and walk on trails through 60+ minutes worth of underground rock formations. If you spend the full hour or so there, you will begin to see shapes in the rock.

On our vacation 2 years ago, along the road to get to the caves, we passed a massive new museum of geology that was not yet finished being built. I'm sure it's completed now, and it looked to be a grand grand place. I should really find out the name of it, if I intend to go back.

Also, somewhere along the coastal highway we passed a North Korean spy submarine-turned tourist attraction which you walk through. The fun never stops in the north east!

Kangwon provence is much better than Kyeunggi do. Are you a fan of Sashimi or in Korean Whey. The stuff in Sockcho is really fresh and cheap. You actually have sandy beaches out there too.

Esliee Jul 14th, 2010 07:31 am

Re: Best places to visit in Korea

mostly people post the things which are easily available on google too , you should share your personal experiences or your favourite places to hangout or walking in korea . . . as em visiting my brother soon there . . . hope people will reply my post . . . :-D
thanks in advance . . . :-p