eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/general-chat/)
-   -   Favorite Grammar book? (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/general-chat/favorite-grammar-book-12059/)

English-coach Apr 8th, 2009 09:49 am

Favorite Grammar book?

Do you have a favorite grammar book that you like to teach with? I do. I personally like Michael Swan's "Practical English Usage" and "Grammar in Use" –Murphy; two great simple books.

What about you? Any other books I should take a look at for teaching?

MelissaC Apr 27th, 2009 03:23 pm

Re: Favorite Grammar book?

Hello!
Favorite grammar book? Well I must say that any book in the Murphy's series is top. The first two, "Essential Grammar..." and "English Grammar..." are fairly similar though, in which case I would change the first book with "Basic English Grammar" by Betty Schrampfer Azar. They're, like most other grammar books, give pretty much the same information.
I've tried "English Grammar for Dummies" though don't recommend it as highly as the previously mentioned books.
Excellent question!

Beatrix Apr 28th, 2009 12:26 pm

Quote:

Quote English-coach (Post 21025)
Do you have a favorite grammar book that you like to teach with? I do. I personally like Michael Swan's "Practical English Usage" and "Grammar in Use" –Murphy; two great simple books.

What about you? Any other books I should take a look at for teaching?

Hello, :)

yes, Murphy is great and thanks for recommending Swan
I'll certainly check it out! :)

kisito Apr 30th, 2009 07:50 pm

Same, I love Raymond Murphy's "English Grammar in use". The book is so practical and straightforward. That to me is clearly the leader in the industry. I also like Longman English Grammar for reference. Probably because that was what we used at school and I still find it a good reference.

English-coach May 2nd, 2009 02:08 pm

It seems we have a winner...Murphy is great. :)

STCrowley May 3rd, 2009 08:28 am

To be honest, I've been teaching for two years (in a private language school) and the only books I've ever used have been from Murphy's. I think that the books do a good job of explaining the grammar--sometimes to the teacher!--and it gives the students a reference.

Most of my students don't take notes the way I used to. (And I guess that's okay.) But, that means that they go home and forget when to say "I did" and when to say "I had done." The Murphy's book gives them a reference. . . and exercises. (With answers. Lazy teachers like their students to correct their own homework.)

If anyone can honestly say that they know something that's as good, I'm game to buy another book. . . but I haven't had any reasons to be anything less than satisfied with Murphy's.