eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/general-chat/)
-   -   favorite thing(s) about living abroad? (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/general-chat/favorite-thing-s-about-living-abroad-174/)

Eric May 13th, 2005 01:22 am

favorite thing(s) about living abroad?

what are your favorite things about living/working overseas?

mine: the food.

fishead soup May 16th, 2005 06:37 pm

In Korea the food is a big plus. As long as your not a vegetarian its fine.
I like the table cooking myself.

asiaexpat May 26th, 2005 02:06 am

Quote:

Quote Eric
what are your favorite things about living/working overseas?

mine: the food.

My favorite things are the people--you don't get all these fat pigs running around yelling "oh my god" everytime they see something that interests them

redshoes May 29th, 2005 02:30 pm

what are your favorite things about living/working overseas

hi everyone --i have so many favorites about living and working abroad --for instance, the architecture of the city/country you are in --cobblestone allyways and streets, facades and outdoor markets, people and their every day life. food is definitely something intriguing ;) and fun to experiment with. the local music and festivals also keep me excited about where i am.

Eric May 29th, 2005 05:46 pm

First of all, welcome to the site redshoes.
Quote:

Quote redshoes
hi everyone --i have so many favorites about living and working abroad --for instance, the architecture of the city/country you are in --cobblestone allyways and streets, facades and outdoor markets, people and their every day life. food is definitely something intriguing ;) and fun to experiment with. the local music and festivals also keep me excited about where i am.

I couldn't agree more. I love exploring the little places of a country like its alleys and markets. They make great photo themes, too.

Eric

fishead soup May 29th, 2005 06:20 pm

Quote:

Quote redshoes

I like the architecture of Korea. Especially the church architecture I'm also a big fan of the identical lime green apartment blocks.

little sage Aug 31st, 2005 02:51 am

I've been in the same foreign country (Korea) for going on 6 years, so my answer to this question has changed.

Originally what I loved most about being here was the exploring: downtown shops, restaurants, temples and just regular streets. Now that those things aren't new to me any more I notice the unpleasant parts that never bothered me before: the traffic and the crowds, mainly.

But something keeps me here and keeps me interested. After 6 years I still don't understand how things work or why people do things the way they do, I guess I mean the culture. And I have yet to learn enough of the Korean language (I do intend to) which is key to understanding the culture from within.

Maybe my favorite thing about living abroad, though, is that this lifestyle is not at all possible in Canada (where I'm from). Having take-out food delivered to my door and then setting the dishes back outside for them to pick up, for example. Living comfortably (with money to spare for eating in restaurants every day, if need be) with working hours under 20 per week.

I'm sure I'll think of more answers, if not my absolute favorite thing about living abroad. These are my musings for today.

songsengnim Sep 5th, 2005 06:45 am

I recently took a trip back home and realised that my favorite thing about living abroad is the opportunity I have to travel..and I often do that.Whether within the country or elsewhere.
My friends could only talk about domestic things like bedding and knocking out a wall in the tv room to make place for am entertainment room.(shame!..am I being nasty?-please let me know))
The other favorite thing is the food...if you think about it,why cook?..go to a restaurant instead or order in.It truly is cheaper.
I know the list is longer, for now this is it. :cool: