eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/general-chat/)
-   -   France- Angers (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/general-chat/france-angers-63279/)

pinksabrina Apr 30th, 2013 06:54 am

France- Angers

Hi all,
I'm new on here and I need some advice, I hope someone can help. I am doing a project in Angers, France in a weeks time and it is a comparative study about the education system here in the UK and the system in France. I would like some answers on a few questions that I have, so here goes:
1) Is there a certain curriculum in France that teachers follow?
2) I have been asked to teach the children some basic English, does anybody have any ideas? I have been asked to focus on English heritage and teach them some simple songs. I have decided to keep the theme as Food, are there any songs that may relate to this theme?
3) For those of you have already taught/live in France what major differences would you say there are in the education system? (I'd like a heads up, I have already been told that the education is a lot more formal and traditional)
Sorry for so many questions and sorry if I have posted this in the wrong forum :o

pinksabrina May 7th, 2013 11:17 am

Re: France- Angers

Anyone at all???

LouannePiccolo May 17th, 2013 03:30 pm

Hi Sabrina!

I only just saw your post and it was 10 days ago so I hope you see that someone answered you.

I live in France but I am not from England and only taught for a very short time in the UK so I can't help you with comparisons between the two countries with regards to teaching. However, to answer some of your other questions: yes, teachers here do follow a curriculum. Here's a link to it: ftp://trf.education.gouv.fr/pub/edut...s8_anglais.pdf You need to be able to understand French to read part of it though.

How long will you be teaching these children? Knowing the answer to that will help in suggesting how to go about it. If you have to teach basic English, then teaching them greetings and how to introduce themselves is always a good option. A food theme is interesting and you can have a lot of fun with it. Teaching colours or numbers is useful too and great for basic English. You can extend it to teaching them how to say how old they are as well. Language teaching in France can tend to be rather formal in schools so make sure to have fun with the children by playing language games, singing songs, using stories and by using flashcards.

You can teach a theme around a story or a song which is very useful. You can begin with games and activities to pre-teach vocabulary and language points before you read the story or teach the song and use follow-up games to reinforce what they have learnt afterwards.

If you need any more in-depth information, let me know.

Beatrix Jun 12th, 2013 02:52 am

Hi, sorry, I have no knowlkedge of the matter at all so didn't see any point in replying...