eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jan 10th, 2007, 07:40 am
English Teacher/Examiner

Whistleblower is on a distinguished road
Default Termination of Employment

Hello and happy New Year all. I have started the year in such a positive mood that I decided to put in my notice to terminate my employment contract.

Well, I went back to the UK for a week over the Xmas period with some students and organised the whole schedule etc for the kids that were brave enough to come with me. However, I was also kind enough to purchase flight tickets with my employers to get them to learn English as well as experience life abroad. But, this backfired and the directors of my school are claiming some self right over the trip abroad. I.e., they would like to stake a claim on the finances. This got me so wound up that I put my notice in. It reconfirmed my suspicion that a little, not all, Institute Directors are greedy in Korea and don't appreciate any teacher's contribution.

Luckily I have been searching for employment for a while and have made various contacts, but I would like to know what you teachers out there what from a school when you decide to move on. Any pointers would be helpful.

Take care.
Unread Jan 10th, 2007, 09:06 am
Ninja Fighting Teacher

livinginkorea is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Termination of Employment

Hi whistle. Glad to hear that you are looking for a new job. I know that it sounds strange to say this but so many people have a really hard time in private schools are over the world and still stay there and take it. I stand for absolutely no crap. I am a complete ******* to the bosses but great to the kids. I care only about the kids and know that the bosses can't just get rid of me as 1) they would have to find a new teacher to replace me and 2) I have experience which a lot of teachers don't actually have, especially the ones fresh out of college and they know that I know that. I get paid weekly or fortnightly from all my jobs instead of the usual monthly.

Well what I am trying to say is that you should try and do some part time jobs if you don't want to commit fully. The pay is a lot better and it can be refreshing as you could have 4 different schools a week (like me) so you don't have to deal with the same old bad students who is always causing trouble in your second class who will be unnamed!

I advise getting a reference from your current school. Look around for some jobs but don't send your resume or number as they are like dogs sometimes with their frequent calling, until you are sure about the job. Always have an interview and check the place beforehand and never, never let the agency get money from your salary as they already get paid from the schools looking for you!

And never be easy. They want you, not the other way around.
Unread Jan 10th, 2007, 10:19 pm
English Teacher/Examiner

Default Re: Termination of Employment

Living in Korea, thank you for your advice. I really got annoyed by the fact that I have been working with these directors for over a year and that they still don't seem to trust me. They were absolutely shocked though that I put my notice in. They have a lot to lose.

Nonetheless, how do you manage to get an Apt. in Korea by just working with 4 different schools? I would love to have the autonomy that you seem to have by working when you want with whom you want, as well as staying legally within the law in Korea.

I shall get a reference from the school both in Korean and English but have the feeling that they would be unwilling to write a nice reference as they seem childish at times.

I had such a nice feeling when I put my notice in. It felt that I was back in the control seat again and able to control anything. Meanwhile my bosses were calling my wife and trying to get me to stay (they put a deposit on an Apt 34평 which they have to keep for a year so will have an empty Apt when I leave). However, the school seemed to have got worse and worse since I started and there seems to many people at the school trying to lead.

How much is a decent salary in Korea with a CELTA qualification (I decided though to leave when I completed my CELTA Course), over a years experience and myself married to a Korean with a family here? What sort of benefits could I ask for?

Thanks so far for the advice.
Unread Jan 10th, 2007, 11:30 pm
Ninja Fighting Teacher

Hey whistle. So you don't have a house or the school gives you one? We have one, the wife put down a depoisit of 20 million won for the year and after the year we can take the money or just renew the contract with our landlord. Either way it's a great deal as that's 20 million won that we have saved and can take it later. That system here in Korea is great. If you don't have enough for the key money then you can always rent some place but that depends on where you live. Look around anyway. I'm sure that your wife could find something in the papers or local real estate store. Don't go for a basement as I have heard bad stores about people living in them.

Also having your own place means that the school can't kick you out

Well I work only part time in every school and I don't work for anything lower than 30,000 won an hour. If I was teaching a one to one then it would be 40~45,000 won an hour. No housing or housing allowance as that's with a full time job. I can leave any job when I want and go to another. Lots of freedom. Just to give you an idea, here is my current week

Monday~Friday 10-12
Monday and Friday 3-7
Tuesday and Thursday 3.30-6.30
Wednesday 2-7

Total Hours - 29 hours x 30,000 = 870,000 won

Look at worknplay for an idea of what I mean. Some of them offer 25,000 for a block shift but I never take those as if you do then that agency, who placed up the add, will want you to work other jobs for 25,000. There are so many jobs out there for F-2-1 Visa holders as it's so easy to get a few. The main thing is take your time, send out a few emails, have a look around and they will come to you. Be patient.

Regards,

LiK
Unread Jan 10th, 2007, 11:53 pm
English Teacher/Examiner

I have started to make some enquiries and would prefer adult education. YBM Sisa contacted me in the past as well as another reputable institute offering adult education so I have to consider them. No more little kiddies running riot in the class.

I suppose after a bit of time in Korea I would like to save some key money to deposit on housing for rent. I understand that it would give me greater freedom in Korea and would be able to work essentially freelance selecting the best schools in Korea. It would also give me more time to spend with my son.

Like you LiK, I would not work for less than 30,000 per hour. I prefer to work for atleast 45,000 per hour. I would like to work part time with one employer and then work freelance for some others. Wall Street Institute is pretty good offering a couple hours each day and some housing. This will give me the opportunity to work for other schools etc. I feel pretty confident to find some suitable work.
Unread Jan 11th, 2007, 08:31 am
English Teacher/Examiner

Big problem now people!

My employers took a day to consider my notice and told me that me and my family have to move on/out within five days! In my contract though, it mentions the employer must provide a months written notice!

I know they are acting childishly but what can I do about it?
Unread Jan 11th, 2007, 08:41 am
Ninja Fighting Teacher

I would be more than happy to teach adults but it's hard to find one with a block shift near where I live. They mostly have split shifts consisting of early in the morning and late at night. I am a morning person but 5 or 6 in the morning is too early for me to get up!

Eventually I will go back to teaching adults and hopefully a university but right now I am teaching all kids. I see a lot of company jobs but they are only for an hour and half to two hours which could be 80,000 won a session but I can make a lot more than that teaching kids.

It's great to have the freedom all the same
Unread Jan 11th, 2007, 08:49 am
Ninja Fighting Teacher

Quote:
Quote Whistleblower
Big problem now people!

My employers took a day to consider my notice and told me that me and my family have to move on/out within five days! In my contract though, it mentions the employer must provide a months written notice!

I know they are acting childishly but what can I do about it?
I had a funny feeling something like that would happen. Tell them that you won't go and that you will report them to the labour board for breach of contract. They can't just force you out. They are just trying to scare you. By the way you are giving them enough notice in accordance with your contract?
Unread Jan 11th, 2007, 09:05 am
English Teacher/Examiner

I gave them seven weeks notice rather than just a months notice so plenty of time for them to find someone else.
Unread Jan 11th, 2007, 09:10 am
Ninja Fighting Teacher

Quote:
Quote Whistleblower
I gave them seven weeks notice rather than just a months notice so plenty of time for them to find someone else.
They can't break their contract then. Don't let them sweet talk your wife either with that "jung" crap. I heard of that happening a few times in other cases. They can't force you out as you are giving them notice. I suggest talking to the Labour Board tomorrow morning first thing and they will be able to help you hopefully.
Unread Jan 11th, 2007, 10:55 am
English Teacher/Examiner

Any chance you can help me locate the contact details mate. I am having a difficult collecting my thoughts.
Unread Jan 11th, 2007, 12:19 pm
Clive Hawkins

clivehawkins is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear you're having trouble.
You're doing the right thing so hang in there.

If it's any help I had a problem with an employer a couple of years back. As soon as I mentioned that I'd spoken with the British Consul ( a bluff as it happened) the guy shut up and I never got another peep out of him. You may want to give it a go.

Good luck!

Get TEFL qualified in Sardinia!:
Tefl in Sardinia
Unread Jan 11th, 2007, 06:32 pm
Ninja Fighting Teacher

Quote:
Quote Whistleblower
Any chance you can help me locate the contact details mate. I am having a difficult collecting my thoughts.
Here's the website. http://english.molab.go.kr/ Best to have a look there. You can post or ring them up or both. When is your last payday? If they have paid you recently then I would suspect that they won't pay you your finally month's pay and that you will have to go through the labour board again. A lot of bad bosses do this, I'm not saying that yours will do this but it might happen, so be wary.

I suggest contacting the labour board first and after that find a new place fast. Even a small apartmet for a week or two is grand. Get your missus to have a look on the naver or something like that.

If they are really being nasty to you then walk out and forget about the place. After all they have broken the contract already.

Last edited by livinginkorea : Jan 14th, 2007 at 02:32 am.
Unread Jan 11th, 2007, 06:33 pm
Ninja Fighting Teacher

I think try and have your own place, it will give you a lot more freedom.

(edited 'cas it was a double post)
Unread Jan 11th, 2007, 11:32 pm
English Teacher/Examiner

Thank you Clive for your reply. It is really not the best time for this to happen 'cos I have a CELTA Course starting soon and my son is going to have to move to a different place.

Having got my thoughts etc together. When I firsted moved to my Apt. I had to pay during my first time there so I have already paid the rent for January 2007 so they cannot kick me out. I have spoken to the Police and they mentioned that they cannot force me out whatever the reason.

I shall threaten the guys with the British Consulate stuff but to be honest I don't feel welcome at the school any longer and feel displaced.

I just want to move on settle down somewhere with my family and complete my CELTA Course. Can't believe these guys reacted like this after I take them to the UK for a week. I pay for their flights and they have to pay for the hotel and they react angrily after getting my notice.

Is there anyway I can list them as an unprofessional school in Korea? I am sure they will try anything to stop me working in Korea as they could be that bad.

I just need a week to organise movement now so everything is in reach. Luckily I will be able to move on. The reason they want me out asap is 'cos they have employed someone to replace me to start in five days. "Childish" comes to mind.
Unread Jan 12th, 2007, 01:51 am
eslHQ Zealot

jenniferp is on a distinguished road

The number for the Labour Board is 1350, press 7 for English.

I got the number from daveseslcafe so I am just assuming it's correct to pass on.
Good luck, let us know how you get on....
Unread Jan 12th, 2007, 06:23 am
Ninja Fighting Teacher

If you want to blacklist the school then you can use this one as a starting point...

http://www.geocities.com/hagwonblacklist/list.html

Or just type "hagwon blacklist" in yahoo or google.
Unread Jan 13th, 2007, 12:42 pm
English Teacher/Examiner

Well, just to give, some of you who are interested, some news on this, I had a meeting with my management at the school and they made it pretty obvious that they didn't want me to leave. They wished for me to stay and organise another Summer Trip to the UK and give me more distance than before. I agreed for several reasons:

1. Living in Korea, you mentioned that you and your partner live in your own apartment. Well I would love to have the freedom you have and work freelance.

2. The whole debacle of leaving and the following argument made me think about work and life. Again, it wasn't time to leave on this basis.

3. I had settled quite well in the town and it would be hard for my family and myself as I have a CELTA Course. Although I put seven weeks notice in, it was not accepted and they wanted me to stay on (always a good way to negotiate your salary).

Anyways, I would like to thank the support I got from this forum as it has been a bl**dy stressful week and am pretty pi**ed at the moment. Meeting friends for a drink is always a good solution to relax. ;P
Unread Jan 13th, 2007, 01:05 pm
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road

Hi Whistleblower,

I hadn't contributed to the discussion because I know nothing about Korea, but i have been following.

I'm really glad it worked out, and I hope that you did get a rise in salary - as well as resolving the issues that had made you resign in the first place. It's a good example of how not letting yourself be walked over, but being willing to negotiate, works in the end.

I'm sure it has been stressful, but try and rest and recoup now - you'll need all the energy you can muster for the CELTA course! Hope it goes well.

Sue
Unread Jan 13th, 2007, 08:46 pm
Ninja Fighting Teacher

Well done! I am delighted that all went well whistle. I hear so many bad hagwon stories and I'm glad that yours wasn't one of them. It's great that they really want you to stay and as Sue said never let them walk all over you. As I said before - they want you but you can find a job anywhere. I hope that there will be some serious changes on their behalf.

Best of luck,

LiK

On btw, now you know what to save up for - an apartment so that this can never happen again!