eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/general-chat/)
-   -   Holidays! (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/general-chat/holidays-2806/)

susan53 Dec 7th, 2006 01:54 pm

Holidays!

We're on holiday here in Milan today - it's our Saint's day (Saint Ambrose) and every town in Milan has a holiday on their Saint's day. We're extra lucky because it backs onto a public holiday (Immaculate Conception) tomorrow, which means a two day break - or when there's a weekend before or after (like this year) four days.
What unusual holidays do you have where you are ? For instance I read somewhere that China had a seven-day holiday in October? And are there any you miss? Italy doesn't have a holiday on Good Friday, and even after nearly thirty years here, I still resent it!:mad:

clivehawkins Dec 7th, 2006 03:42 pm

Re: Holidays!

Well, still in Italy. Here in Cagliari we've recently has San Saturnino, the patron saint's day. It's just one of the many excuses for a day off we have during the year (as you well know). I read somewhere that Italy has more public holidays than anywhere else - I might be wrong but it seems that way :-)
(Even if we don't get Good Friday!)

susan53 Dec 8th, 2006 04:15 am

Quote:

Quote clivehawkins
I read somewhere that Italy has more public holidays than anywhere else - I might be wrong but it seems that way :-)

No - I don't think it's true any more. We used to, but then the govt abolished half of them :Cry: And if they fall at the weekend we lose them:Cry: :Cry: whereas in Britain, for instance, they're always on weekdays so are guaranteed.

Love your pic Clive!

livinginkorea Dec 8th, 2006 08:38 am

I think it's Germany that has the most holidays or time off.

Here in Korea there are literally no holidays for Christmas eventhough Korea has the second or third highest number of Christians in Asia and besides the Chinese new year takes places shortly afterwards in January so there is a big holiday then.

This will be my third year away from my homeland and without a real Christmas but as long as I am with my wife (who really misses Christams) then it's ok!

clivehawkins Dec 11th, 2006 01:05 am

Quote:

Quote susan53
Love your pic Clive!

Thanks! That's my little girl, Emma. She's already got daddy wrapped around her little finger, not that he's complaining :)

iankendal Dec 14th, 2006 04:39 am

Yes I remember living in korea and i think we got 10 days holiday a year TOTAL.
I heard Spain has the most public holidays in Europe.

livinginkorea Dec 14th, 2006 07:54 am

You taught in a load of countries. Where didn't you teach!!

Which place was the best so far? Any comparisons?

Whistleblower Dec 14th, 2006 08:32 pm

Quote:

Quote iankendal
Yes I remember living in korea and i think we got 10 days holiday a year TOTAL.

Yes, that is true you get 10 days paid holiday a year but I have to add that there are many public holidays during the year. Lets look:

1. Xmas & New Year day (2 days)

2. Lunar New Year (1 week ~ whats the point of working whilst everyone goes to see their family for the whole week)

3. Taeborum (1 day)

4. Independence Movement Day (1 day)

5. Arbor Day (1 day)

6. Children's Day (1 day)

7. Buddha's Birthday (1 day)

8. Memorial Day (1 day)

9. Constitution Day (1 day)

10. Liberation Day (1 day)

11. Foundation day & Ch'usok (1 week)

So looking at all national holidays in Korea you get 3 weeks & 3 days off plus 2 weeks off in the summer and in the winter.

---

Now, I have to agree with you that in Korea that the amount of work teachers do and the usual paid holiday is not good. Koreans are overworked and underpaid. However, if you live the Korean way there are many days off during the year.

Anyways, I hope to get a job Teaching English at a Uni. when I finish my CELTA so I can have a longer summer and winter vacation.

livinginkorea Dec 14th, 2006 10:45 pm

Isn't the tree planting holiday gone now since last year?