eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Dec 14th, 2006, 11:35 am
eslHQ Member

iankendal is on a distinguished road
Arrow How do people celebrate Christmas holidays in the country you are teaching in now?

Here in Spain everything is shut down for a couple of weeks except for some shops. The children celebrate 6th Jan here more than christmas day, I think it's the same in Italy too.
Unread Dec 15th, 2006, 06:35 pm
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How do people celebrate Christmas holidays in the country you are teaching in now?

In Japan, Christmas eve is a big dating holiday. Couple go out for dinner and such. Families also eat what they call Christmas cake on Christmas Eve. It's basically a cake that says Merry Christmas.
Unread Dec 15th, 2006, 08:42 pm
Ninja Fighting Teacher

livinginkorea is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How do people celebrate Christmas holidays in the country you are teaching in now?

The same here about the couples in Korea. Not really a family occasion but it's a huge day for couples.
Unread Dec 16th, 2006, 12:53 am
English Teacher/Examiner

Whistleblower is on a distinguished road

Well, I don't really celebrate Xmas in Korea myself. I am gonna be by myself because my wife and son are going to the UK in a few days time (lucky them) and I have to stay at home. I am thinking of going to Seoul by myself though. You know, "whilst the cats away, the mice will play".
Unread Dec 16th, 2006, 12:59 am
SimplyESL

simplyesl is on a distinguished road

Christmas in China is just another day for most. Western New Year is barely even noticed.... Last year in Shanghai there were about 10 fireworks. The Chinese New Year gets about 10 DAYS worth of fireworks.
Unread Dec 16th, 2006, 02:22 am
Clive Hawkins

clivehawkins is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How do people celebrate Christmas holidays in the country you are teaching in now

It's a big family thing here in Italy.
Christmas Eve is spent at home with the family - it's probably more important than Christmas Day itself. There is a huge meal of meat, fish etc. This is also the time when gifts are exchanged. At midnight many go to church for mass.

The next day nobody feels like eating but lunch is even bigger than the previous evening's dinner. Alka Seltzer must make most of their money in these two days.

Each of these two eating extravaganzas feature a cast of thousands and every year I meet new members of my wife's family. In all these years they still manage to drag out new faces. When will it end??!!

Oh, and bingo is big too. Christmas Day isn't complete unless you're stuck next to that relative whose name you didn't quite catch who is complaining bitterly that the game is rigged and, in any case, the meat was over cooked and the wine was too sweet.

I love it. I wish it could be Christmas every day. Wait a minute, theres a song in there somewhere

And on that note, a merry Christmas to all you guys out there. have a good break and come back refreshed and ready to kick some ESL butt!

Get TEFL qualified in Sardinia!:
Tefl in Sardinia
Unread Dec 16th, 2006, 08:18 am
Ninja Fighting Teacher

livinginkorea is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote Whistleblower
Well, I don't really celebrate Xmas in Korea myself. I am gonna be by myself because my wife and son are going to the UK in a few days time (lucky them) and I have to stay at home. I am thinking of going to Seoul by myself though. You know, "whilst the cats away, the mice will play".
Just as long as it's not The Hill!

I have just come back from Itaewon. When to a lovely Greek restaurant. Brillant food