eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread May 13th, 2009, 02:56 am
eslHQ Zealot

English-coach is on a distinguished road
Question Teaching online

What are your opinions of "online classes"? It seems like this is becoming an alternative to in person classes. Teachers and students from all over the world can give and receive classes with a webcam and microphone.

I might start doing them with an English Company.

I think that it could be a good way to take classes when there are no native speaks available in your city.

What do you think?
Unread May 14th, 2009, 06:13 pm
eslHQ Addict

teachingenglishmadeeasy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Teaching online

I don't think it's a bad idea. However, I think it should be used carefully. Online teaching is completely different than in-class teaching. Different pedagogical methods, different types of students, etc.

Free Downloadable Resources
www.ralphsesljunction.com
Unread May 14th, 2009, 11:22 pm
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road

I might be doing a bit of on-line teaching. One of my students had to move 2 hours away and she wants to still 'attend' the class via Skype.

It ought to be interesting. A little like a tele-conference.
Unread May 15th, 2009, 06:34 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

ICAL_Pete is on a distinguished road

Talking about skypeing your students there is an article in the ICALwiki you might like to refer to for ideas.
Unread May 16th, 2009, 10:34 am
eslHQ Member

MelissaC is on a distinguished road

Excellent post!
I've actually taught online before, in Thailand.
I was working with Berlitz and their BVC, living in Thailand but teaching students in Japan. It was A LOT of fun! They had created a whole online program, it wasn't just though Skype, though that is a good way to do it.
Online programs are starting to spring up all over the place and many of the big companies are jumping on the trend. I know that both Berlitz and Wall Street Institute are doing them.
There was a company in Japan call The Nova Group that was doing 24/7 online classes but they... well...
TheStar.com | News | ESL teachers left in limbo in Japan

It's a GREAT idea though! I wish you the best of luck with it!
Melissa

Last edited by MelissaC : May 20th, 2009 at 06:16 am.
Unread May 19th, 2009, 08:09 am
eslHQ Member

avari20 is on a distinguished road

I've been considering teaching "online" classes for a while now. I teach in South Korea, but who doesn't want to supplement their income? I researched a few companies. My opinion is that it's just like teaching EFL in general: what some consider a disadvantage may not be so bad in someone else's eyes. There are time differences to consider. I found most of the companies only had teaching slots available on weekends, late nights. I was looking for nights during the week. The fact that you can reach across the globe without leaving your home is pretty amazing. Most companies seemed to have their own planned out curriculums. There doesn't seem to be much individual planning required, which takes a load off of your shoulders.

If you feel like that's the way to go-try it. You never know. It might be the new future of teaching English as a foreign language. Keep us posted on your experiences!

Best of luck,
Ava
Unread May 24th, 2009, 06:57 pm
eslHQ spy

nighthawk is on a distinguished road

I've been doing "online teaching" for nearly 2 years. There are two ways to teach online. One is doing it "on phone"..just talking about the topic of whatnot..and video class..meaning with camera etc..
I find "phone classes" easier than "video classes"..less pressure and stress
Unread May 24th, 2009, 07:39 pm
eslHQ Addict

teachingenglishmadeeasy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote nighthawk View Post
I've been doing "online teaching" for nearly 2 years. There are two ways to teach online. One is doing it "on phone"..just talking about the topic of whatnot..and video class..meaning with camera etc..
I find "phone classes" easier than "video classes"..less pressure and stress
Yeah, i can see why live streaming can be nerve racking. lol.

Free Downloadable Resources
www.ralphsesljunction.com
Unread Jun 4th, 2009, 05:43 am
eslHQ Zealot

Well I have been doing webcam classes for three weeks now and I have to say that I really enjoy it! It is really fun, the class content is all pre-made as the company created the powerpoint slideshows for me. It really is as easy as reviewing the slides and being creative. Each class is 45 minutes and I can do it from the comfort of my home office. I am only doing 4 hours a week right now but it is a great additional stream of income.
Unread Jun 4th, 2009, 05:44 am
eslHQ Zealot

OH...I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for adding your comments and experiences on this thread as well. It was great to see what other people thought about them. It is true. Teaching online is VERY different from teaching in person...and it has its good points and it's drawbacks, but for me it works great!
Unread Jun 9th, 2009, 02:51 pm
English Pronunciation

PronouncePro is on a distinguished road

Great points made by everyone. It seems with online teaching teachers would be able to largely increase their reach of potential students. This must have some appeal.

On the other hand, I like one on one because teachers can see what students need to work on based on body actions, minor facial expressions, etc.

Both are better than no instruction however!
Unread Jun 18th, 2009, 02:31 am
eslHQ Member

raja1 is on a distinguished road

ya this is a good idea.many can benefit from your idea.
Unread Jun 19th, 2009, 12:08 pm
eslHQ Zealot

I'm continuing with online classes and I have to say that they are really fun to do and for me it is great. I can do a couple hours a day in the morning...in my home office and then forget about it. It works into my daily life really well. No commuting!!! Love it!
Unread Jul 3rd, 2009, 05:15 am
eslHQ Member

Lexus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote English-coach View Post
I'm continuing with online classes and I have to say that they are really fun to do and for me it is great. I can do a couple hours a day in the morning...in my home office and then forget about it. It works into my daily life really well. No commuting!!! Love it!
You're right, it is great and have fun
Unread Jul 6th, 2009, 12:59 am
eslHQ Member

brianamorgan is on a distinguished road

Online classes are great I think especially like people who travels a lot. This is very convenient to us because we can learn wherever we are...
Unread Aug 10th, 2009, 01:24 am
eslHQ Member

cecilemanganaro1 is on a distinguished road

Teaching online is very good idea. In this days it's become very popular.
Unread Jan 29th, 2011, 04:34 pm
eslHQ Member

jakda is on a distinguished road

It is very popular now and it's how I make my living. It's very different teaching online than face to face and there are some advantages. If you both use headphones then the sound quality is fantastic and the student can understand you a lot better. You can also pick up on pronunciation mistakes a lot easier.

The chat feature in Skype means that your students can write throughout the lesson and you can give them instant feedback. For a number of reasons students end up talking a lot more in Skype lessons than face to face. This is good practice for them and really helps their spoken English.

The main problem (which I'm starting to overcome) is trying to piece together an entire course. Using a virtual whiteboard helps and thanks to Sue I have found virtual English courses for my students.

The biggest thing I think is that all my students really like learning this way. I have a lot of online students who are all improving. My newest student wanted to learn online because she has a young child and needs to stay home. She wouldn't be taking lessons otherwise and this is generally the case.

One downside is that students think that because the lessons are flexibile that they take two weeks off here, three weeks off there (like most private lessons). But on the whole I really enjoy it and love teaching from home.
Unread Feb 7th, 2011, 12:55 am
clever

clevermae is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Teaching online

It's the largest option to count on with your english teacher. This is the most easy way to perform a direct classes other than to go to school everyday! Less hassle, and save more...
Unread Jan 26th, 2012, 08:16 am
eslHQ Member

LesaWilliams is on a distinguished road

Personally, I practice giving such lessons to high school students myself. I use Skype, a microphone, audio, video and visual materials, the latter prepared by myself in my pdf editor, but is is not as much as about discussing the materials and answering student' questions in real time, it is about live communication and gaining practice.
Unread Apr 12th, 2012, 05:27 am
I like it hot!

Denis DNT is on a distinguished road

Teaching online is great. It is the new ESL market and those who know it are already making the most out of it. The future of education is online.
Click here to join.