eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jan 25th, 2007, 08:19 am
English Teacher/Examiner

Whistleblower is on a distinguished road
Default CELTA Course in Korea

Well those that I have bored or have been following, I will soon start my eagerly awaited CELTA Course on 29th Jan. till 26th Feb. and then it's back to work.

I understand that it is really difficult and can be under pressure to plan lessons as well as write some essays but I hope I could use this thread to ask some questions about some lessons I have or note down how my lessons went.
Unread Jan 31st, 2007, 06:03 am
English Teacher/Examiner

Default Re: CELTA Course in Korea

Okay, so it was my third day today and quite literally have rarely the time to post or have any kind of life till the weekend. Nonetheless, I have had two lessons to date. The first one was the GTKY (get to know you) 20 min. lesson with the students. The second lesson today was alot better though. Before I started the course though it was kind of nerve wrecking. Anyways, I shall post later.
Unread Jan 31st, 2007, 07:23 am
Ninja Fighting Teacher

livinginkorea is on a distinguished road

I'm glad to hear about the course. Sounds very interesting. Keep us posted when you have time. Best of luck!
Unread Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:54 am
English Teacher/Examiner

Ahh ... the weekend. No more getting to bed at 1:30am and waking up at 5:30am to get the train to Seoul. It has been a pretty busy week. The observed classes were more fine but I expected them to be more daunting. The people running the CELTA at the British Council seem to be doing a good job and are on top of things.

I have had three classes so far and all were planned pretty well without any major problems. The second week seems to be more concentrated on the learners as the first week was an introduction.

Nonetheless, when you observe some experienced teachers in the field it really is an eye opener. But I recommend those that really want to become professional teachers for adults, do this CELTA Course as it is really really good. The skills I have learnt this week cannot be beaten and are really invaluable.

Finally, I have a pretty relaxed weekend but have some assignments to complete. Apart from that, I am gonna take it easy as it has been a tiring week. Four hours sleep a night for five days takes its toll on you.
Unread Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:18 pm
Clive Hawkins

clivehawkins is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote Whistleblower
But I recommend those that really want to become professional teachers for adults, do this CELTA Course as it is really really good. The skills I have learnt this week cannot be beaten and are really invaluable.
I couldn't agree more! Glad to hear you're getting so much out of it. I could do with a bit of a refresher course to be honest. It's eight yeras since I did the CELTA and I feel a bit rusty \ lacking in ideas etc.

Keep at it and good luck.

Get TEFL qualified in Sardinia!:
Tefl in Sardinia
Unread Feb 7th, 2007, 09:37 am
English Teacher/Examiner

Well it is Thursday and am suffering from sleep deprevation at the moment. I have about five hours sleep on a good day and then get up and commute two hours to the CELTA Venue. I could have stayed at a motel or somewhere in Seoul but I love to have my homely environment around.

Anyways, I just had my first mid-review after a week and a half of the course (or 80 hrs of teaching/studying time total). Basically, this is a chance for the CELTA students to see how to improve for the next two weeks until the end of the course. I got some normal feedback (positive and negative) but it is pretty standard and the feedback is not so soul destroying but pretty constructive (improve instructions, student eliciting etc).

This course has literally introduced technology in the classroom and the use of powerpoint and an interactive white board which don't require board markers etc (don't have that at my hagwon). I love the fact that you can print out your notes for students or erase the board in one tap with the interactive pen.

I had my first grammar lesson the other day and that went pretty well. The CELTA Trainers on my course though are from Sussex in the UK, and me being from Eastbourne, we get on pretty well.

Againk, I can't believe the amount of stuff that I am learning from this course. There is so much to take in and would like time to reflect. Must wait until the end of the course. Anyone interested in the CELTA Course in Korea, please ask and I will answer asap (which is probably at the end of my course due to time constraints).

Thanks Clive for your support and I hope to complete this challenging yet rewarding course, I was speaking to the teacher-in-trainer for the CELTA Course and she was saying the CELTA has changed since 1996 when she took it with more theories being applied in the trade etc. Fingers crossed that I find some decent employment afterwards, I am always on the lookout for a decent job in Korea.
Unread Feb 11th, 2007, 04:57 am
English Teacher/Examiner

Hello all. Hope you are all enjoying your weekend. So far, I have had the chance to relax after commuting as well as having long working days during the CELTA Course.

So far, I have two weeks left of the course. The way I look at it is that I have four lessons left. Two 30 minute lessons and two 60 minute lessons. They seem quite long when you consider how much is required but they appear to fly by. Btw, I got my first above-standard mark for my teaching so I must be on par for passing

Anyways, it is Sunday and I am catching up with the lesson plans that I have to write up each time I teach. Also I have a written assignment to complete by Friday 16th Feb. so have to draft that up tonite.

Cannot wait till I finish my CELTA Course. It will mean so much personally and professionally. Just two more weeks of hard graft but it isn't as bad as nine weeks of RAF bootcamp that I suffered in 1999.
Unread Feb 13th, 2007, 06:16 am
English Teacher/Examiner

Got my next observed lesson coming up tommorrow and the stress is starting to dawn on me. I have prepared my lesson today pretty much but the observers are starting to be really critical and go through lesson plans and your lessons with a fine tooth-comb. By the end of tommorrow, I would have two lessons to complete (both 60 mins) and two assignments to complete (one which is needed for Friday). Not long till the end of the CELTA Course and to be honest, I have had a pretty good time learning about teaching. I suppose the course would be really suited to people who are open minded, who can speak frankly to the trainers about the course, who can manage time effectively and who wish to progress within teaching.

If you get the chance, please do the course. Although I haven't finished the course, just yet, I feel I have learn't so much within the past two and a half weeks.
Unread Feb 18th, 2007, 09:14 am
Clive Hawkins

Quote:
Quote Whistleblower
Just two more weeks of hard graft but it isn't as bad as nine weeks of RAF bootcamp that I suffered in 1999.
Why would anyone do that?

Anyway, sounds like you've had a great course. I hope anyone reading this will consider doing it too. I'll back up everything that Whistleblower has said. It's an invaluable experience.

Tefl in Sardinia
Unread Feb 26th, 2007, 07:34 am
English Teacher/Examiner

Hello all,

It is now all over. I have finished my CELTA Course.

It was really really hard and I learnt so much from the Course. I am already planning to transfer the skills I learnt from the course into the workplace.

I am already changing the way I teach and offer a more student centred approach to the Korean classroom. This will be so rare for Korean English Schools and most Korean teachers prefer the teacher centred approach. Due to cultural and historical belief in the teaching system (which has been in place since the late '60s) it is more a teacher centred approach. Their thinking is:

Teaching = Learning

But this is not the case.

I hope that I can learn more about child education in Korea and apply more beneficial areas for language learning.

Again, for fear of repetition, I belief that the CELTA Course is really beneficial and the cost is fully outweighed by the benefits of the course. If anyone has any questions , please ask and I shall try to answer.

Btw, I have passed with the grade "Pass B".
Unread Feb 26th, 2007, 08:43 am
Clive Hawkins

Quote:
Quote Whistleblower
Btw, I have passed with the grade "Pass B".
Me too!

Well done fella

Tefl in Sardinia
Unread Feb 26th, 2007, 11:53 am
Ninja Fighting Teacher

Well done mate! How does it feel to be finished? Bet that you are glad!

Ya it's true about the Korean system. The elementary schools have changed a little bit in regards to English teaching, as they focus a lot on fun and making learning English enjoyable but then they go straight into middle school and that goes all down the window as they focus on learning grammar. As I always tell my students, having a high score in Toeic doesn't mean you can talk (I have met soooo many of these at all ages)!!

Congrats again and I'm sure that you will bring what you learned into the classroom.

Regards,

LiK
Unread Feb 26th, 2007, 05:16 pm
English Teacher/Examiner

Thankyou Clive and LiK.

I have an interview this morning (must keep it quiet from the Hagwon bosses). It is for adult education in Korea and for YBM. They are dead interested in employing me so it might mean goodbye to hagwons and hello to adult teaching.

Anyways, thanks for your support and I shall let you know what the future holds.
Unread Feb 27th, 2007, 10:18 pm
English Teacher/Examiner

Hello hagwons goodbye YBM.

I went for the interview and was nearly going to sign on the dotted line but they don't offer a housing allowance nor a straight holiday during the summer or winter. I mentioned to the guy "thanks for your interest but it's not what I expected".

I grabbed my stuff afterwards and left. He was nice to drop me off at the station but I never heard of a school not offering housing allowance in Korea.
Unread Mar 1st, 2007, 09:22 pm
Ninja Fighting Teacher

Quote:
Quote Whistleblower

Hello hagwons goodbye YBM.

I went for the interview and was nearly going to sign on the dotted line but they don't offer a housing allowance nor a straight holiday during the summer or winter. I mentioned to the guy "thanks for your interest but it's not what I expected".

I grabbed my stuff afterwards and left. He was nice to drop me off at the station but I never heard of a school not offering housing allowance in Korea.

That's very strange that they wouldn't give you any housing allowance. I thought that it was pretty standard. Will you look for more jobs now or stay in that same school? After all that's happened and after you finished your course it might be a good idea to move on to bigger and better things

By the way can you tell me what did you learn from the course? Has it changed the way that you look at classes now?

-LiK
Unread Jul 7th, 2010, 07:00 am
eslHQ Member

sojeremy is on a distinguished road

if you do not mind me asking.. may I know how many above standard to get a PASS B?
Unread Dec 24th, 2013, 03:42 am
eslHQ Member

enyasirch is on a distinguished road

Hi,thank you for sharing your experiences. I'm becoming more interested to sign up for the course. I've been researching online where to study because we don't have it here in the Philippines.

May I know the exact fee please? Do they have online CELTA course as well? Looking forward to your reply! Thank you!^_^