eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Sep 6th, 2007, 08:05 pm
Sifu

emile is on a distinguished road
Default Learning solo is better than classroom learning?

I was looking at this site:

effortless english | Home
The Effortless English Blog

It seems like the guy is promoting the old audio tape method (but updated to mp3s) as a better way to learn than learning in the classroom.

Any comments on this?
Unread Sep 7th, 2007, 05:14 am
eslHQ Addict

michèle 2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Learning solo is better than classroom learning?

Some points as regards learning English are interesting. For example " story telling" the students listen to the story and then tell the story to the others. On the other hand I don't agree with him when he says that anyone can speak English easily. No, some students can learn languages more easily than others. And personally I think that learning grammar rules and doing exercises are necessary to speak a language.( the words and the grammar structures don't come automatically after listening to someone!)
Michèle
Unread Sep 7th, 2007, 08:54 pm
Sifu

Quote:
personally I think that learning grammar rules and doing exercises are necessary to speak a language.( the words and the grammar structures don't come automatically after listening to someone!)
I agree. Grammar exercises are boring and hard work but necessary. Fortunately, grammar practice can be done on the computer at the student's own pace so that's usally left out of the classroom anyway.

In some countries, students have good written English but can't speak. Here in Malaysia it's the opposite scenario. Everyone can speak English, but it's broken English - a kind of creole or patois. Students here can communicate but they suffer at a job interview when they only can to speaking the bloken Ingris.
Unread Sep 8th, 2007, 08:10 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road

$97 for his 'course' worth "$300" ???

I have taught at Universities in The United States (Lanier Technical College) I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Lanier Technical College is not a University.

As far as grammar-less and no textbook methods go for EFL, I'd say it's a tough road that requires a lot of exposure, but even NS get grammar instruction at school. It would seem that his target consists of students who have already done the grammar and textbooks, so grammar-less and no textbook don't really describe the 'method' just the instruction style post-grammar and textbook.
Unread Sep 8th, 2007, 08:14 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road

Sorry, as far as learning solo is concerned, I think you can learn on your own. You need to be motivated and have an oportunity to use the language. You don't need to pay this guy $97, but you might want to buy a good book from a reliable source. (Not to say he doesn't know what he's doing. He may have a great system and it may be worth something. Who knows.)

I studied Japanese on my own from textbooks and have done well. Fortunately, I don't have to create oportunities to use Japanese, it's all around me.
Unread Sep 9th, 2007, 03:19 am
Sifu

Quote:
$97 for his 'course' worth "$300" ???
heh heh, obviously the marketing is OTT and would put a lot of people off (but attract others?), but I was just curious about the general question of learning solo.

For the record, I like to learn Malay by myself, but I'm aware that it would be faster if I joined a class
Unread Sep 10th, 2007, 02:41 am
eslHQ Addict

As far as learning solo is concerned don't you think it's sometimes a bit boring to be ALONE just in front of one's computer? Personally i think that meeting people, leaving home, have fun with a group of learners is important too.
Michèle
Unread Sep 11th, 2007, 10:27 pm
Sifu

Quote:
As far as learning solo is concerned don't you think it's sometimes a bit boring to be ALONE just in front of one's computer?
I agree, but some things like grammar are boring to do in the classroom and more fun to do on the computer.
Unread Sep 12th, 2007, 02:16 am
eslHQ Addict

Yes, i agree as for grammar exercises.
Michèle
Unread Sep 12th, 2007, 10:20 am
EFL Teacher

DaveESL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote michèle 2 View Post
And personally I think that learning grammar rules and doing exercises are necessary to speak a language.( the words and the grammar structures don't come automatically after listening to someone!)
I kind of disagree with this. My students (college in China) are absolutely full of grammar rules and exercises and can't speak or write to save their lives. And (personally) I learned grammar "automatically" by listening and reading. I had almost no explicit grammar instruction. Just my two cents.

That said, the website seems like a total scam to me. At the same time, I don't believe you need classes to learn a language well. They do help a lot of people, though, especially folks who (like myself) have trouble motivating themselves.
Unread Sep 22nd, 2007, 02:02 pm
Compelling Conversations

Eric18 is on a distinguished road

Self-study provides both ample opportunities and numerous challenges. For the most dedicated and intelligent, it can work. Modern technologies such as MP3, the internet, and radio have certainly provided many useful tools.
Yet the vast majority of people, however, find developing their language skills requires a social context. Tutoring helps many busy professionals. Classroom instruction aids many more adults with less financial resources and more time. Homework, of course, remains a strong component of serious language courses and often must be completed in solitude.
Everyone must find their own path.

Eric
eric@compellingconversations.com
www.compellingconversations.com

"Education is an ornament in prosperity and a refuge in adversity."
Aristotle, 4th Century BCE, Greek philosopher