eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Mar 7th, 2007, 07:57 pm
English Teacher/Examiner

Whistleblower is on a distinguished road
Default Currently Seeking Pro Work

Well Korea is over supplied with English Teaching jobs, as most of you maybe aware, and it is pretty mad picking through the one to make you think and go "Wow!".

I have been for so many telephone interviews, face to face meetings and being urged to sign a contract. However, I like to take my time and think through the job professionally. Now, I went for a job interview the other day and they wanted me to sign there and then. The work was impressive but I told them I would like to take the time to look through the contract and get back to them.

I emailed the contract back to them and now they are being defensive and trying to blame me and my wife for the delay. Am I wrong? Am I the one applying for the job or is it the other way round?

I am just going through a pretty stressful time (and most of those who have been following the past few months know it has been a stressful new year, a stressful time at my hakwon and now this). I have my CELTA now (got the best mark on the course) and now I have to deal with this c**p.

I am only looking for my second teaching position in Korea and am pretty confident and outline my aims for the job but there is so much pressure to start asap. Anyone have any experience of seeking employment in Korea and dealing with this type of stuff? Anyone recommend an employer in Korea who is professional? Should I move to Europe?
Unread Mar 7th, 2007, 08:41 pm
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Currently Seeking Pro Work

My first job that I got the guy played that game of, "if you don't sign this right now, i'll give the job to someone else".

It was my first job and it came recommended so of course I signed right away. The rest of my jobs, I've been the pushy one, pressuring them to prepare a contract or give a decision.

I think you are making the right decision by waiting and taking your time. I think there is a foreign teacher shortage in Korea and you have more qualifications than a lot of teachers so you are going to be sought after even more.

That being said, it could go the other way. You could really love the job you interviewed for and they may say they are going to hire you but it takes weeks/months to get you a contract, visa, etc... This very thing happened to my wife. She was hired by a uni and signed the contract but she still needed her visa papers so she could do a visa run in the short time between her old job and new job. She waited and waited and they just didn't understand the urgency of getting the visa papers. Finally, it was too late and she had to leave the country because her current visa was expiring. She told them that she was going to have to miss the first 1-3 days of class because she'd be in Japan waiting for a new visa. They yelled at her telling her she was letting down the parents of the students at the school. From there it turned into a huge argument and she ended up quitting the job she never started. In the end, everything worked out but she spent that semester unemployed.

Anyway, my point is, I know it's frustrating dealing with the pressure (or sometimes the lack of pressure) but try to take that in stride. I think it's more important that you have a good feeling about the potential workplace. Are the hours good? Pay? Co-workers? Housing? etc... Do you get a good feeling from your potential employers? Do previous teachers speak highly of the place? Take the time you need to answer these questions. After you find the right place, the contract will be there for you. You'll find the right job. You're highly qualified here and you have the right to be picky.

Eric
Unread Mar 7th, 2007, 09:05 pm
English Teacher/Examiner

Thanks Eric.

I am sure that I will look back at this one day and laugh about it.
Unread Mar 8th, 2007, 05:05 am
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road

Congrats on your CELTA result! Next step the DELTA ....

I don't know the Korean situation and don't know if you were serious about moving to Europe. But if you were, I imagine there are just as many cowboys here as there. Be careful. I also heard recently about a scam a bit like to the one you described in the Too good to be true post coming supposedly from a school (actually non-existent) in Milan. It seems the Nigerians don't have a monopoly on anything ...

However, there are also some very good schools, and with a good CELTA result you should have a chance for a job in one of them - if you're an EU citizen. If not, you may have almost impossible work permit problems unfortunately. This was actually the point of the scam : send us $500 dollars so that we can get your papers sorted. Yeah, yeah.
Unread Mar 8th, 2007, 07:52 am
Ninja Fighting Teacher

livinginkorea is on a distinguished road

Hi WB,

Good to hear that you took your time about that job. I am the same as you when I finish one job and try to get another I am kinda nervous and in a hurry to get it but I have learned that there is always a great job around the corner. Take your time. Seriously slow down! You are in no hurry. Play around with the job market a bit and never feel sorry for not taking a job. That is their idea, to make you feel sorry so that they can get you for a cheaper price. If you look too eager to get any job than they will win. It's totally a teacher's market now. I have been getting offers every week for the last 6 months!! I have quit my morning kids class as they didn't have as many hours as they said they had when I started. Eventhough that job itself was good I am in Korea for two things - money and study. Later when I go to Europe teaching, it will be for my other reasons.

Why are you thinking about getting a full time job? If your wife is a Korea or Korean descent (like mine) then you can get an F-2 Visa which allows you to work part time jobs. That's exactly what I am doing now. I'm my own boss and pick the jobs that I want to do. In that way I can teach the schools and students that really want me and my skills and also it allows me to teach kids and adults. Now I have an offer from a hagwon teacher to teach them reading and writing. That will be an interesting project if I take it but having a job like this allows me to be picky and take my time.

So forget about the full time jobs and get a part time one today!!!

Let me know how the search goes on and if you get anything in Suwon
Unread Mar 8th, 2007, 08:08 am
Ninja Fighting Teacher

Also I was talking to some of my MA classmates last weekend and some of them are teaching in the best universities in the country (two out of three in S.K.Y) and the general view is that the best Korean teaching job and the one where the adminstration and faculty actually care about teaching and research etc is actually out of Korea!!!
Unread Mar 8th, 2007, 10:33 pm
English Teacher/Examiner

Quote:
Quote livinginkorea
Hi WB,
So forget about the full time jobs and get a part time one today!!!

Let me know how the search goes on and if you get anything in Suwon
Ninja,

hope you are well. I am getting a full-time job elsewhere 'cos me and the missus wants to save up for six months to get our own place. Then I am gonna get several part-time jobs when we move to our own apartment. I would love to work freelance and have holidays when I want not when the school wants.

ps - I live 30 mins away from Suwon in a place called Pyeongtaek but I'm gonna move by next week hopefully.
Unread Mar 9th, 2007, 07:59 am
Ninja Fighting Teacher

Quote:
Quote Whistleblower
Ninja,

hope you are well. I am getting a full-time job elsewhere 'cos me and the missus wants to save up for six months to get our own place. Then I am gonna get several part-time jobs when we move to our own apartment. I would love to work freelance and have holidays when I want not when the school wants.

ps - I live 30 mins away from Suwon in a place called Pyeongtaek but I'm gonna move by next week hopefully.
Once you can work freelance then definitely do it. Btw isn't there a big LG factory there in Pyeongtaek? My wife taught there before a couple of years ago. Good pay but it took a while to get there.

Where are you planning to move to?
Unread Mar 9th, 2007, 08:57 am
English Teacher/Examiner

Not sure there is a big LG Plant in Pyeongtaek but there is Ssangyong (쌍용) car plant nearby. However, Pyeongtaek is not that small so have to check that out.

Anyway I am moving to a place in Seoul "Hakye", my phonetic spelling, but spelt in Korean "하계". I would like to work freelance in the city working for major corporations (that's my next goal) and then hopefully setup an officetel Teaching business English to company CEO's (but that's a seperate subject and shall start a different thread about starting a business in Korea). Is anyone in Seoul? What's the city like? Does anyone teach privately to corporations? More importantly, what is the expected salary of a certified teacher in Korea with professional qualifications (per hour and monthly)?

Thx all for the support. This community is invaluable.

ps - Susan, I shall definately look at taking a DELTA in a few years. It is all good experience. Btw, I am from the UK so have no trouble getting employment in the EU but my wife is a different matter as she is Korean and still hasn't her British Passport.