eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Nov 23rd, 2005, 09:39 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road
Default What should Mark do?

I currently work part-time at a JHS (16hrs/week.) It's an easy job where I just show up to class and teach with the Japanese teacher who prepares almost everything. I only teach a maximum of 9 classes in one week the rest is my time to use for whatever. I get all school holidays off (about 7 weeks all together.) So, if the students don't have to go to school niether do I. I'm hired as part-time and run on a year to year contract with no benifits. They pay me about $1,000/month to do this (that works out to about $18/hour.)

Now, I'm working on building up a bit of a reputation where I am and a college Prep School (CPS) came by my office yesterday and told me they'd like me to work for them which means I would have to quit the JHS (I have other work as well.)

The CPS is asking for the same time slot (16 hours/week) and i'd be teaching college prep English, TOEFL, and maybe TOEIC courses. I have never taught any of these so I'd be starting from scratch. I would be hired as a full-time employee with benifits. I would teach the same maximum of 9 classes but they are 90 min. not 60. I would be the main teacher and have to make lesson plans, tests, and write-up final student evaluations. I would have 10 days paid vacation but would have to show up every day regardless of whether school was in or not. They offered to pay me about $2,200/month to do this.

The CPS means a lot more work in the beginning, but the same amount of time. However, the JHS affords me a lot of time to do other prep and projects.

What do you think?

Take the cash and work.

or

Work and take a break.
Unread Nov 24th, 2005, 02:22 am
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What should Mark do?

actually despite them being the same amount of teaching time, it looks like you'll be working nearly twice as much with all the prep that will be required.

i guess it comes down to what is more important to you, time off or money. i almost always choose time off because i have so many projects going at any one time.

i guess you should also think about the stability of each job and how long you could potentially have both jobs...

just my 2 pesos
Unread Nov 27th, 2005, 09:01 pm
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road

Eric -Thanks. The stability is better at the CPS and I'm negotiating benefits, bonuses, and insurance. So, it is actually a better job all around, but I need time for my projects (time to complete the 7-8 I have already started plus those in my head.) It's a tough descision.

It's also really easy to be lazy and complacent.

I've been at the JHS for 5 years now and have gotten really all I can get from this job. The CPS job would make me a little broader.

It's probably going to come down to the benefits package.

- Mark
Unread Nov 27th, 2005, 09:16 pm
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote mesmark
I've been at the JHS for 5 years now and have gotten really all I can get from this job. The CPS job would make me a little broader.

It's probably going to come down to the benefits package.
i think these last two things are very important when weighing the decision. its good to keep changing and growing. plus it will look better on a resume for the next job down the line.