eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/general-chat/)
-   -   What music do you like? (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/general-chat/what-music-do-you-like-6152/)

walrus1965 Oct 13th, 2007 05:09 am

What music do you like?

I like classic rock. The 70,s in my favorite decade for music.

susan53 Oct 13th, 2007 05:21 am

Re: What music do you like?

Me too. Favourites : Deep Purple, Cream and Clapton, Steely Dan, Joni Mitchell, Phil Collins.

What I find odd though is how much my son and I like the same stuff. He likes Deep Purple, I can appreciate Green Day and James Blunt. (I draw the line at rap, but then he doesn't like Mitchell or Collins). When I was a teenager, my and my parents taste in music was light years apart. Sinatra and Glenn Miller - no way. (I did come to like Glenn Miller later, but have never found Sinatra more than bearable). Music was identity and we didn't want the same identity as our parents. Now it seems to be different, and I can never decide if that is good or bad. What do others think?

walrus1965 Oct 13th, 2007 05:30 am

Quote:

Quote susan53 (Post 11674)
Me too. Favourites : Deep Purple, Cream and Clapton, Steely Dan, Joni Mitchell, Phil Collins.

What I find odd though is how much my son and I like the same stuff. He likes Deep Purple, I can appreciate Green Day and James Blunt. (I draw the line at rap, but then he doesn't like Mitchell or Collins). When I was a teenager, my and my parents taste in music was light years apart. Sinatra and Glenn Miller - no way. (I did come to like Glenn Miller later, but have never found Sinatra more than bearable). Music was identity and we didn't want the same identity as our parents. Now it seems to be different, and I can never decide if that is good or bad. What do others think?

I think its good. It gives us a link to young people there for we have something in common. I do agree with your comment as our classic rock station here has just as many young listeners as older ones. The modern rock station is the same as well. I think rock caters for a wider age group. Maybe rap will do that in 30 years time.

clivehawkins Oct 15th, 2007 03:17 am

Old Rolling Stones (up to about 1980)
R&B
Nu jazz
70's disco rather than rock :-)

Can't stand heavy metal, country or any brainless young popstitute a la Spears, Hilton, Lohan etc

michèle 2 Oct 16th, 2007 04:58 am

:music:I like, Eric Clapton, Pink floyd, U2, Texas, Dire Straits, Deep Purple, Otis Redding, Zucchero, Eros Ramazzoti ( Italian singers)
Sheryl Crow, music from the 70s :hippie:, Jack Johnson ( like my daughter who is 25 ) Louis Amstrong like my father ( 84 ) who is fond of jazz ( I was raised to the sound of jazz music and at that time I thought it was music for old people!!) I also like classical. I think that the type of music I'm not keen on is Rap music and neither is my daughter so it's not a question of age but probably like clothes, food ect... a question of taste, isn't it?
Michèle

szilagyiannari Nov 28th, 2007 06:36 am

Interesting that were not very keen on rap music. It simply irritates me. Otherwise I can listen to any kind of music, I can't say that I have favourite bands, just favourite songs. Hm. And it happens to me that I start to like songs that I hated a few years ago. Hm hm. Usually I listen to the radio. I don't get bored thus.

mesmark Nov 28th, 2007 10:57 am

I'm actually a country fan. Sorry Clive...