eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Nov 13th, 2006, 04:43 am
English Teacher/Examiner

Whistleblower is on a distinguished road
Question High and lows. Peaks and troughs.

Hello. I went through a pretty low week, last week, and this week has started pretty good. I read up on some ESL Games from this website and some others 'cos of the last week and wanted to prepare some fun and active lessons for the students. So far, so good.

I get pretty lousy though when I go through a low period. I get stressed, unhappy and, probably because last week was the worst I have had in Korea, I got that coldsore. The first coldsore I have had in Korea.

I suppose it was for many reasons I went through a low period last week. I felt my Korean was not improving as well as it could be. I also felt out of touch of what students wanted from my lessons, particulary the elder students. And I had to re-budget and re-schedule a student trip to the UK for some Korean students.

Anyways, I thought I would ask how others dealt with low points in the host country and how they dealt with it. It can get pretty lonely for those of us away from home with no immediate family to talk to or meet.

For those who have been abroad for a while now, what was the lowest point during your time abroad? Did you ever feel out of touch or different to others in your host country? How did you deal with this?
Unread Nov 13th, 2006, 06:50 am
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: High and lows. Peaks and troughs.

The lowest of the low was a Christmas I spent alone. I'd started a new job in a new town three weeks before, which didn't make it worth going home again- this was before the days of cheap flights. And I knew hardly anyone. the other teachers all went home, and though someone invited me for dinner on Boxing day, I spent Christmas day entirely alone - with everything shut so I couldn't even go to a museum or look round the shops, and without even being able to watch TV as I didn't understand the language. That was miserable..
Unread Nov 16th, 2006, 08:31 am
Ninja Fighting Teacher

livinginkorea is on a distinguished road

I totally agree with Christmas being the hardest time of the year but since Korea doesn't really celebrate it like we do back home it actually helps! I miss hanging around at home with the family and drinking with my friends and playing footie at the weekends but I always remind myself that I have a great life here. I am married to the smartest and most beautiful girl who makes me feel like I can do anything.

I have been back twice now to Ireland (in 3 years) and it's shocking that nothing has changed. All my friends are still doing the same thing and probably will be for the next 20 years. They will never live in another country or experience a different culture and to be honest I think that's rather sad.

I guess it depends on the family and the person. All my uncles travelled and lived in another country (Japan, New York, Germany) for several years and I think that I got the bug from them. My brother is in Scotland while I'm here. I'm happy that I did come here and moved on and you should be the same whistleblower. Think of all the things that you have seen and experienced here that nobody back home will see

Having said all that I miss some fine steak with mushrooms and onions!
Unread Nov 17th, 2006, 10:25 am
English Teacher/Examiner

Whistleblower is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote livinginkorea
Think of all the things that you have seen and experienced here that nobody back home will see

Having said all that I miss some fine steak with mushrooms and onions!
Thank you. It is hard for teachers abroad, away from family, friends and relatives. But would not change my mind. I suppose being abroad kind of gives you a chance to experience things you wouldn't normally and deal with something different. It is nice to be able also to relate my experience with someone in a similar position. Again thank you for your kind words.
Unread Nov 17th, 2006, 08:03 pm
Ninja Fighting Teacher

livinginkorea is on a distinguished road

And adding on to that I'm sure that you have grown a lot as a person. People say that travel is the best education and in our case I think that it's very true. I have grown a lot as a person. I was one of the boys before, drinking and playing around a lot and only I knew that coming to Korea would change me forever but not in a bad way. It has made me a stronger person and gained my focus in life. I'm not saying like I'm some hermit and don't like drinking and going out but I have more responsiblities now and I like the personal growth that I have got since I came here.

Travel really is the best education. So chin up and enjoy the weekend everybody!
Unread Nov 22nd, 2006, 01:33 am
Clive Hawkins

clivehawkins is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote livinginkorea
I have been back twice now to Ireland (in 3 years) and it's shocking that nothing has changed. All my friends are still doing the same thing and probably will be for the next 20 years. They will never live in another country or experience a different culture and to be honest I think that's rather sad.
I couldn't agree more.
It really does hit you when you go 'home' that very little changes - a few slang words, the latest cult TV show and the high street has even more 'bargain' shops than ever.

As for the peaks and troughs, I guess you have to play one off against the other. When you're down think about the good times you've had there - that class that took you out for a beer after school, the afternoon in the mountains with your partner etc. Think about what people at home are doing - you know exactly where they are and what they're doing because they always do the same thing. You're doing something different - think positive!

When you're having a good time remember for a moment the times you felt a bit low - it'll seem less important than it really is and you'll enjoy what you're doing all the more for it.

There, it's half past seven in the morning here and I'm spouting psycho-babble. I really should sleep some more.

Get TEFL qualified in Sardinia!:
Tefl in Sardinia