eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/general-chat/)
-   -   Where can an ESL teacher get the best pay package?Tokyo, Beijing, Seoul, (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/general-chat/where-can-esl-teacher-get-best-pay-package-tokyo-beijing-seoul-4963/)

Denis DNT Jun 9th, 2007 11:01 am

Where can an ESL teacher get the best pay package?Tokyo, Beijing, Seoul,

Rate these three cities on salary for ESL teaching.

Eric Aug 12th, 2007 11:25 pm

Re: Where can an ESL teacher get the best pay package?Tokyo, Beijing, Seoul,

I would say you get paid more in Japan but the cost of living is a lot higher than the other 2 cities. You really have to look at what else is provided with your job. Do they provide housing, a car, appliances, health care, etc... After you weigh all of those things, then you can get a more accurate rating.

mesmark Aug 13th, 2007 11:54 pm

I'd also go with Japan, but as Eric said the cost of living needs to be added in. Tokyo and Seoul are two of the priciests cities in the world.

Also, the yen has lost a lot of strength, so your conversion back to your countries currency is not what it was 5 years ago, but pay is the same or less.

I'd be interested to hear where people think the 'other' places are.

DaveESL Aug 15th, 2007 03:47 am

Might I suggest adding Taipei into the mix? I certainly made a lot more money (after expenses) in Taiwan than I do in China. I knew many people (myself included) who were able to live quite well and still have $1000 US or more to add to their bank account each month.

Denis DNT Aug 16th, 2007 07:38 pm

Yeah, I heard of Taiwan before but recently, I have heard a lot of friends saying Shanghai is coming up strong with salaries. I am considering moving there.

DaveESL Aug 17th, 2007 05:53 pm

If your goal is to make money, why not go to the Middle East?

Denis DNT Aug 17th, 2007 07:23 pm

Yeah I have heard a lot about that end too.
Just that the political tensions, religious constraints, and other things make their pay packages unattractive.
Anyone with some experience from there?

simplyesl Aug 21st, 2007 01:37 am

Shanghai can be good... if u don't blow all ur money on the countless things to do there. it's also quite easy to get private students there that pay between $30 - $50 (aus) an hour. If you have experience, you can get paid quite well...

mesmark Aug 21st, 2007 09:08 pm

Quote:

Quote Denis DNT (Post 10788)
Yeah I have heard a lot about that end too.
Just that the political tensions, religious constraints, and other things make their pay packages unattractive.
Anyone with some experience from there?

My father worked over there (Saudi Arabia) for 5 years, but not in ESL. He worked in the King's hospital. He said it was hard every day and his wife had an even more difficult time.

He said it wasn't all bad but that he wouldn't go back.

mesmark Aug 21st, 2007 09:12 pm

Quote:

Quote DaveESL (Post 10741)
... I knew many people (myself included) who were able to live quite well and still have $1000 US or more to add to their bank account each month.

That's a figure most modest savers in Japan can reach as well.

DaveESL Aug 22nd, 2007 03:35 am

Quote:

Quote mesmark (Post 10822)
That's a figure most modest savers in Japan can reach as well.

That's cool. Right now, Japan and Thailand are probably the two countries I'm considering most for my post-China plans. I realize, of course, that there's no comparison between the two when it comes to salaries...

HUE Aug 30th, 2007 11:27 pm

Something to consider about Japan in general, and Tokyo specifically, is that the cost of living hasn't increased significantly in the better part of a decade. Rents have actually dropped, and a night out on the town is actually cheaper than a comparable night back in the US. Consider also that, in Tokyo, it's quite easy to pick up a few extra classes here and there for 2500 - 4000 yen per hour on average.

koots Oct 19th, 2007 12:41 am

I think it really depends on your experience, qualifications, and type of job. There are some jobs I could take here in Seoul that would involve me making 4 or 5 million won a month with paid apartment, company car etc. Jobs teaching for a company like LG, Samsung and so on can be quite lucrative. 5 days vacation a year tho......

I'd say that in Seoul, Tokyo, and Taipei it is possible to live more than comfortably and save around $1000/month.

For the first time teacher: Seoul probably has the best package. Paid airfare, paid accomodation etc. Cost of living in Seoul isn't cheap but the most important expense is taken out of the equation with housing.

Denis DNT Dec 15th, 2007 11:25 am

With a car boy!!! Did I get that right? First time to hear of a service car for a teacher, or are you just talking about one of those shuttle busses schools provide?

Eric18 Dec 16th, 2007 02:05 am

Timing and exchange rates would seem major factors. For instance, a friend teaching for several years in Japan wrote me that the collapse of a major school there has lead to a huge surplus of ESL teachers. He didn't think, even with his years of experience in Japan, that he could get hired in the current market. Hopefully, this is just a short term problem.

Denis DNT Dec 16th, 2007 11:01 am

Hey Eric, that's good info for people planning to go job hunting in Japan. I hope it will just be a short term problem as you say.
So for now let's hang on to Seoul and Taipei as the cities with the best packages.

Eric18 Dec 16th, 2007 11:10 am

Thanks. Does anybody know about the pay in Spain, Greece, or Italy? They would all be wonderful places to work too. Or does the EU require EU status?

Denis DNT Feb 3rd, 2008 03:23 pm

Try Saudi Arabia Eric. I hear the pay package there is great too.

Eric18 Feb 4th, 2008 09:38 am

Denis - Thanks for the tip.

While I have had many wonderful Saudi students in class, the Saudi government continues to prohibit entry to people who have an Israeli stamp on their passport. I'm also doubt that I would feel comfortable living in a theocracy where women can't drive (by law), strict censorship is enforced, and neither churches or synagogues are allowed to be open. I'm sort of a live and let live, speak and let speak, pray and let pray guy.

Many friends, however, have had very satisfying teaching experiences there and returned with more than a few nickels. UAE seems like a more attractive option for teaching in the Mideast.

tikiman Mar 9th, 2008 07:38 pm

I`ve been in Japan for 5 years and I`ve found that the salaries have actually decreased in that time. You could get 300,000 a few years ago for ALT jobs but now most postings are for 250,000. ALT jobs in many cases pay the same as EIKAIWA they just offer more time off (but you don`t get 100% of your salary for August and December. Usually 60-75%). Privates are going for 1500yen these days. I think it`s because there is an abundance of teachers and companies are undercutting each other to score contracts from the BOE`s. Everyone is easily replaceable and I think a lot of companies know that they can find a teacher seeking work in a very short period of time. Just be careful when you are negotiating. My company only gave me a 1000Yen raise a month last year and my evaluations were excellent from the BOE. Go figure! In anycase, I can still save about $1800-2000CAD/month. I don`t party too much however and entertainment expenses can be quite abit if you`re not careful. I take about a handful of trips a year. Good luck.