eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Aug 26th, 2008, 11:35 pm
eslHQ Member

katan-ko is on a distinguished road
Default Hi Slightly Older than Average ESL Teacher Has Questions

Hi I am Katan-ko and wonder if anyone knows of how I can connect with people my age. In North Africa I joined the American Club met some military officers, people in private sector it was fun to have a different perspective. Don't get me wrong, I like the social life I have with other teachers but it is fun to sometimes widen your horizons and meet with people who have different activities. I also met women who were interested in starting a directory of helpful locations and resources for foreigners ( names of tailors, doctors, good restaurants, etc. by city) Any tips, I am not much on backpacking, like to sail and am really serious about learning language and culture. I am a US Citizen and Caucasian.Thanks for any ideas. Katan
Unread Aug 31st, 2008, 07:05 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hi Slightly Older than Average ESL Teacher Has Questions

Are you looking to interact with other native English speakers or locals where you are teaching.

If it's locals, just invite some students you'd like to hango ut with out for something, hiking, a movie, a drink, whatever. At least here, students get really excited to take their teachers out and around. You also will have a chance to learn and practice the language if you choose low level friends ...

You can also ask your employer or students about different social groups/meetings based on your interests.

Where are you?
Unread Sep 3rd, 2008, 04:09 pm
eslHQ Member

katan-ko is on a distinguished road

I am presently in US waiting for my school's director to send me my Visa Number and return a copy of the signed contract. So I have a little time to introduce myself to other people presently in Korea. I think I will be in Hong Seong. I am not concerned with whether the people are Native Speakers or Members of the community, I just hope to have some buddies who want to weekend in Seoul or who enjoy doing the regular tourist sites. I thought it would be fun if everyone met at a club on Thanksgiving or some other occassion. How do you like Korea. I have lived abroad a lot and believe that whatever you put in is what you take out, unhappy people are usually not aggressively making friends or learning the language. What do you think?
Unread Sep 14th, 2008, 01:12 am
Compelling Conversations

Eric18 is on a distinguished road

Good luck teaching in Korea. Given your traveling and teaching experiences, it sounds like you will find - or create - your own community there.

Personally, I also found Thanksgiving and July 4th quite meaningful while outside of the United States. Therefore, your suggestion for a Thanksgiving gather seems very sensible. Unfortunately, ESLHQ may not be as effective for meeting fellow American teachers as some other sites. What's the local ESL teacher's organization there?

Good luck and enjoy Korea. Keep us informed of your teaching adventures.

Eric
eric@compellingconversations.com
www.compellingconversations.com

"Education is an ornament in prosperity and a refuge in adversity."
Aristotle, 4th Century BCE, Greek philosopher