eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/general-chat/)
-   -   Working Overseas...Has it changed you? (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/general-chat/working-overseas-has-changed-you-1068/)

STCrowley Apr 6th, 2009 01:10 pm

Re: Working Overseas...Has it changed you?

I think that I've become more of a fitness person. Not that I like it, but I know that I'm the only American my students know (some of them) and I don't want them to go home and say "my teacher is American, and he's fat." Seems, stupid, but I don't like that stereotype.

Also, I have more time for my hobbies (freelance work means I work hard one month, less the next. . . you all know that) and that's both good and a little bit crazy. Still, I feel like I'm 'growing' more than other adults my age have time to do.
-Toby

sobek Apr 6th, 2009 07:31 pm

For me, I started to become more confident and outgoing with people.
In England, I would have been nervous to get up in front of 8 people in my class and give a speech for 5 minutes. Now, I have no problem getting up in front of 60 kids and singing heads, shoulders, knees and toes with them.

But like some of the earlier posters said, I've become a little more reserved in the past few months. I don't really like to be bothered on the street and hate being the center of attention when I step foot out the door.
I'm also a trial biker so I don't mind attention when I'm on the bike but I still don't like it when people drive by, gawking at me out the window before giving of some high toned "hello".

Maybe its the fact that I've been living in China now for 2 years without returning to England at all, but people staring at me, saying stupid sentences in English or asking me the same stupid questions all the time is beginning to get to me and now irritates me often.

But lets end on a positive. I've grown to like children and become more patient with them. I remember when I first started teaching, I didn't really like children and thought that teaching wasn't the job for me. But I gave it more time and tried harder and can now say its a job I enjoy.

mesmark Apr 6th, 2009 08:15 pm

Quote:

Quote STCrowley (Post 20973)
Also, I have more time for my hobbies (freelance work means I work hard one month, less the next. . . you all know that) and that's both good and a little bit crazy. Still, I feel like I'm 'growing' more than other adults my age have time to do.

What's your job there and where is there :)

I'm just curious what your freelance work is. Also, what are your hobbies?

rabble Apr 20th, 2009 04:55 am

Where is K.S.A.? Excuse my ignorance. This is such a slow thread it would be quicker to write by sea-mail. It's a good topic though.
I hope you find your soul mate.

teachingenglishmadeeasy Apr 23rd, 2009 01:12 am

Quote:

Quote erinjk (Post 2445)
Hi :)
Just a question that I thought I'd put out there!
While working overseas, have you noticed a change in yourself being either positive or negative? Or both!

For myself, I've noticed I've become more outgoing, as you have to be in Japan or you don't meet any new people.

Living overseas has definitely changed the way I think about things. Moreover, it has made me a much better person. My knowledge of the English language has greatly improved and I feel my students benefit from it the most. I would most definitely recommend living abroad to anyone thinking about it. Just, do the homework first and don't jump into the deep end of the pool without knowing how to swim, you know?

English-coach Apr 23rd, 2009 02:17 am

I think living abroad or even travelling abroad for an extended period of time (minimum a couple months) is a great experience. You learn so much about yourself and other people. It has changed me for the better I think. Although sometimes it is hard to be out of my element and surrounded by so many things that are not "normal" to me. :)