eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/general-chat/)
-   -   Would you live overseas forever? (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/general-chat/would-you-live-overseas-forever-5262/)

emile Jul 8th, 2007 08:48 pm

Would you live overseas forever?

Would you live in your adopted country forever?

And ever?

HUE Jul 8th, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: Would you live overseas forever?

I like Japan... had no intention of being here for ten years... and suspect that I'll be here longer. I hope to someday live elsewhere, or at least have the chance to spend long months traveling and exploring the world. With experience in EFL, it shouldn't be too difficult to get a job somewhere... maybe!

clivehawkins Jul 9th, 2007 12:49 am

Quote:

Quote HUE
With experience in EFL, it shouldn't be too difficult to get a job somewhere... maybe!

That's one of the great things about what we do - you can up sticks more or less whenever you like and know that wherever you go you'll have a job within a couple of days.

Personally, I'm here for a fair bit yet but I'd never exclude moving on - my wife has always wanted to move away and maybe when my daughter's older, who knows? However, I can't see any reason why I'd want to go back to The UK - it seems it has become an awful place to be. After a few days there I'm always more than happy to be getting back on the plane.

Whistleblower Jul 9th, 2007 06:51 am

I have to agree with you Clive regarding the UK. Since reading up on the BBC News website, it seems to be getting worst. I will like to remain where I am in Korea and stay here for the time being. Unfortunately, my wife would like to head back to the UK. I will have to play the waiting game and hope that my wife comes to her senses and realises the UK is worse than it was before.

Anyways, it's nice to visit the site again. It's been such a long time.

emile Jul 11th, 2007 07:39 pm

Seems to depend quite a bit on the wife.

Something for me to keep in mind since I'm getting married in October!

mesmark Jul 12th, 2007 02:35 am

I'm staying in Japan forever, or at least that's the plan. Like the others it wasn't the original plan but just how things have shaped up.

It may also be that up and leaving now is just as hard as someone else up and moving abroad for a few years. a couple cars, kids in school, good friends, a mortgage, a good job ...

Motivated Aug 1st, 2007 10:58 am

Live abroad forever...hmmm...yeh, why not! I love Australia but there are too many rules n regs these days, seems like the world is turning soft the more advanced we get. Remember when you were a kid and you fell off the swings in the park? You cried for a minute then got right back on...not anymore, someone is always suing someone elses *** and it seems like all the 'fun' is slowly but surely being taken away from us.

This is unheard of in Mongolia, and it's a damned good thing!! I'm pretty happy to stay here where it's still a bargain, the women are stunning, the vodka is tasty, and there are cool swings in the park, and also one of those round-a-bout thingies that the bigger kids spin really fast to send the younger kids flying off into the dirt!!!

I have a great group of friends, both expat (oh how i loathe that word) and Mongolian. I have a nice apartment in the centre of town, I have my guitars for jam sessions, and most importantly, life is just downright uncomplicated. Isn't that what we're all searching for?

Could think of a lot worse lifestyles to be living!!

Oh yeah, I better mention that I don't actually go to the park much, but it's nice to know that i have that option hehe

DaveESL Aug 15th, 2007 03:40 am

My 2 cents:

I could very well spend my life living overseas (meaning not in America) but there is no way I'm going to spend it in China (where I'm currently living). I am no great fan of China. Between the bureaucracy and the pollution, I'm done. My contract is up in January and I am not sticking around after that.

I have no idea where I'll head next. I'm toying with both Korea and Japan, but we'll see. I taught in Taiwan for 5 years before, so I know what that's like. I guess that's an option, too.

Anyways.

Dave

KARENZA THOMAS Aug 17th, 2007 12:18 pm

Aren't there any women out there considering living abroad for ever? I came to the Canaries fully intending on going back to England, however life has odd twists and turns and here I am married with Kids, and as you Guys have said before, is England so good these days?

simplyesl Aug 21st, 2007 01:38 am

I wish... although i won't settle for one country just yet :P