eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Mar 31st, 2005, 12:31 am
eslHQ Member

Pinky is on a distinguished road
Cool Morning all!!

Hey all,

Adrian here, an Australian who has lived between Singapore and Australia my whole life (folks work in Singapore). Pretty unique mix as I have English, Irish, Portugese and Chinese blood(s) running in my system! Started out working in the marine field (sailing) and recently decided to do a bit of ESL teaching. Still in the middle of negotiations!

Here's to cheers and beers!
Unread Mar 31st, 2005, 07:37 am
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the site, Pinky! I hope you find eslHQ.com useful as you start your ESL/EFL teaching career
Unread Apr 1st, 2005, 04:41 am
Administrator

little sage is on a distinguished road
Talking Welcome

Hi Adrian. Sounds like you have a really interesting life story. Nice to have you on the site. Where do you think you might be working?

Karen
Unread Apr 1st, 2005, 11:57 am
eslHQ Member

Hi there sage!

It's a place called Gumi in Daegu (Taegu). Just got the contract sent to me today. The only problem I am having now is with the embassy in Singapore. I need to get my degree notarised, but since it was issued in Australia, the Korean embassy in Singapore would not do it. Have to send it to Sydney (Oz) to get it done.. Strange logic...

Anyways, I'm now deciding between Korea and an offer I just got today for Thailand... Hmmm choices, choices...

By the way, Eric, I talked to the current ESL teacher there and the school seems ok.
Unread Apr 1st, 2005, 08:15 pm
Administrator

That's a tough call: thailand or korea...

where in thailand?
Unread Apr 2nd, 2005, 02:56 am
eslHQ Member

Just got two offers from Thailand... One's pretty near Bangkok (outskirts) and the other is in a place called Ubon Ratchathani.. Seriously considering Thailand as I love the food and culture..
Unread Apr 13th, 2005, 04:31 am
Administrator

Smile Thai food, YUM

Quote:
Quote Pinky
Just got two offers from Thailand... One's pretty near Bangkok (outskirts) and the other is in a place called Ubon Ratchathani.. Seriously considering Thailand as I love the food and culture..
Pinky,

I haven't checked the forums in a while. Sorry! How far along are you in the decision-making process? Have you chosen a job yet?

I wish there were some Thai restaurants around here... I suddenly have a craving for pad-thai!

Best of luck to you,
Karen
Unread Apr 18th, 2005, 12:43 pm
eslHQ Member

Hey Sage,

Sorry, I was in Phuket for a week (stag party ;P) and didn't get to check my emails. Well, the offer in Ubon didn't go as well as I hoped it would and hence had to let that go. Still talking to the people in Bangkok.. Will let you know of the outcome.

PS: The food was excellent. Just got back two hours ago and I already miss it!!!!
Unread Apr 18th, 2005, 06:52 pm
Administrator

Out of curiosity, how much have the beaches/community recovered from the tsunami? Were there a lot of tourists there or still pretty quiet?
Unread Apr 19th, 2005, 12:48 am
Administrator

Quote:
Quote Pinky
Hey Sage,

Sorry, I was in Phuket for a week (stag party ;P) and didn't get to check my emails. Well, the offer in Ubon didn't go as well as I hoped it would and hence had to let that go. Still talking to the people in Bangkok.. Will let you know of the outcome.

PS: The food was excellent. Just got back two hours ago and I already miss it!!!!

Lucky you, Pinky. I guess I just need to take a trip there. I haven't been to Phuket in 2 years...

Out of curiosity, what do the teaching contracts for Thailand offer in terms of salary, weekly workload and time off?

Karen
Unread Apr 19th, 2005, 02:54 am
eslHQ Member

The pay is around 35,000 Bhat, which is US$886 per month. Teaching hours vary. Not too sure of the exact hours but you will be looking at a couple of hours each day. You might get more in a Government school (around 40-45,000 Bhat) or if the school is in Bangkok. But if you ask me, I would rather teach in another state (Chaing Mai, Suratthani, etc.) as Bangkok is over-crowded and smog-filled.
Unread Apr 19th, 2005, 07:40 am
Administrator

That's really good money for Thailand. I had no idea it was so good. Do you know if there are teaching positions down south near the beaches and on the islands? If so, how much are they paying?
Unread Apr 19th, 2005, 09:53 am
eslHQ Member

Quote:
Quote Oreamnos
That's really good money for Thailand. I had no idea it was so good. Do you know if there are teaching positions down south near the beaches and on the islands? If so, how much are they paying?
Look here: http://www.teflasia.com/ajarn/jobs/index.html

There is currently an opening in Phuket. Other beach side areas are in Krabi, Krang and Suratthani (which is near Koh Samui). The pay is around what I quoted before, but note that I was offered 35,000 Bhat and I do not have any formal teaching experience nor any TESOL / TEFL certification(s). If you do have experience, get in touch with the schools and negotiate upwards. Also check if they offer other perks such as accomodation, medical, etc.

Although US$800-odd does not seem much at all, but you'll live comfortably in Thailand (with the exception of Bangkok), as locals only get a fraction of that amount. Just avoid the daily trips to the A-Go-Go bars!
Unread Apr 19th, 2005, 10:11 am
eslHQ Member

Quote:
Quote Oreamnos
Out of curiosity, how much have the beaches/community recovered from the tsunami? Were there a lot of tourists there or still pretty quiet?
It has actually recovered faster than i had expected. You still see some damage here and there but it should all clear by the end of the year (the street vendors are now flogging off photos and video tapes of the tsunami). Surprisingly, the water along the beaches has cleared up to a point that it was clearer this year as compared to early 2004 (I have been going there for 3 years running). Diving is excellent, but word on the street is that another Tsunami will hit some time soon. Hope not!!

As expected, there were not as many tourists there as compared to last year