eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   Teaching ESL (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/)
-   -   1st lesson absolute beginners (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/1st-lesson-absolute-beginners-18947/)

fede117 Sep 22nd, 2010 02:12 pm

1st lesson absolute beginners

I'll have my first lesson next week with absolute beginners but I find it difficult to prepare activities to get them started...everything looks complicated for absolute beginners, even "find someone who.."
lesson will be 2 hours long and I am afraid I'll run out of things to do very quickly. as per school policy I am not allowed to use the book on 1st lesson...could you give some very very simple activities which are also fun (I'll be teaching Italian to English speakers but I can adapt the language) ?
thanks

sueby Sep 23rd, 2010 04:03 am

Re: 1st lesson absolute beginners

If they're absolute beginners, the best thing to start off with is name, tel numbers(to practise numbers 1-10), nationality, profession and 'How are you?'
You'll need flashcards of flags and professions (we even use smiley faces for How are you?)
Don't rush them and keep repeating everything you've introduced in different ways.
Model what you want them to say, they repeat and practise in pairs then move on to the next thing. Each piece should take 10-15 minutes. We use different games with the flashcards once the language has been introduced (students have to guess what the card is by asking each other questions eg.: Are you from England? No, I'm not. etc.).
I would suggest building up towards a dialogue that they could practise at the end of the class for them to feel that they have achieved something.

Good luck in your first class.

bread_baker Sep 23rd, 2010 07:34 pm

Click on my name, send me a private message, and I will send you a message with information.

alawton Sep 28th, 2010 09:17 am

Hello,

You could do a lot with just practicing basic nouns that students will see in the classroom. Draw or point to different objects that everyone sees. Have students repeat the words. They can play pictionary with the words as a small group activity. They could play hangman with these same words if you really need an activity to fill in some time. Good luck!

narel Sep 29th, 2010 09:14 pm

Hi, am in the same boat, am trying to create a syllabus for a beginner who can speak some english (one on one tutoring), want to have topics in an order that leads to the next if possible, my ideas in order are:

abcs, name/address, numbers, weeks/months/seasons, time, objects/colours, money, buying something, greetings

am i on the right track or does someone disagree with my 'syllabus'!? or have better ideas