eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Dec 2nd, 2007, 10:38 pm
I like it hot!

Denis DNT is on a distinguished road
Default I don't have control over my students! SOS!

I am now in one of those schools here where you are asked to teach students you don't really have any control on.
*We can't use the course book because it is considered to be repetition since the chinese English teacher is using it.
*We can't teach writing, grammar, listening, reading. That's is supposed to have been covered by the chinese English teacher.
*We can't test or evaluate the students. Their grades are done by the Chinese English teacher.
*We are however expected to teach something very interesting and very helpful to their full understanding of the lessons in their course book.
*Last and most important, we are not supposed to use any 'hard / harsh' disciplinary measures.
That's how the administration views it. On the other hand the students know that this is the fun time they all long for; with this guy who is supposed to be entertaining them, sharing in all their jokes yet not able to say "be quiet." After all this guy is not connected to their end-of-term report in any way.
It's killing me. If you guys have been in such situations, share with me how you handled that.
Thanks.
Unread Dec 3rd, 2007, 12:11 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I don't have control over my students! SOS!

How about rewards instead of punishment?

Do you have anything you can offer?

Do you have an objective for the class? Something they could see? If they are headed toward a goal, they might be more likely to work with you. If they are blind as to where they're going, they will wander...

Hang in there!
Unread Dec 3rd, 2007, 04:42 am
I like it hot!

Yeah, I have tried with stickers and failed. They look down on stickers. I have tried awarding credits to the few serious ones. I have tried setting up exciting class projects like sketches, making posters and speaking contests. These are things that worked like magic in my former school. It just doesn't work now. It's all centered around the idea that the 'real' English lesson is the one that fetches them grades, and the administration just won't give us that one tool. My colleague and I have asked the administration to try telling them that our comments count for their final grades but this demand is still being considered.
But seriously it's really not a good experience. We are talking about 6th and 7th graders here.
Unread Dec 3rd, 2007, 05:47 am
sonatina

nadyawisdom is on a distinguished road

Hi
I have a very similar set up at my school in Germany. I have the same problems. The children are expecting a lot of fun and no work.Plus I have only one lesson a week! I did the following. I explained in German, that if they want to learn English, they must do some work. I do tell them to be quiet and I try to speak to each child during the lesson (I have 12 children in one group). I plan my lessons so that each theme runs over two lessons. The first lesson I do teaching (mostly), the second - we play games using all the words and phrases from the first. When a child doesn't want to take part in lesson, I just let him/her be. There are kids who want to learn, so I work for them. And I give homework too. Not all are doing it but some are very happy with it. To them I give stars and I promised to have prizes at the end of the term for the three pupils with the most stars. This move involved more kids into doing their homework! Unfortunately I can't be more helpful. I just go there and do my best for the ones who are interested and hope that others will retain something from my lessons.
Unread Dec 3rd, 2007, 09:07 am
I like it hot!

Let's see what the administration will do before the year comes to an end.
It's consoling though to know that there are colleagues out there in the same situation. Like they say, when everyone is suffering no one is suffering.