eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   Teaching ESL (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/)
-   -   2006 Christmas lesson plans (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/2006-christmas-lesson-plans-263/)

mesmark Nov 27th, 2005 09:13 pm

2006 Christmas lesson plans

I usually just go over some Christmas vocab, talk about what the students want for Christmas and call it a day.

This year I'm planning on adding a wordsearch ;) but beyond that does anyone have any good lessons, worksheets, simple craft activities, etc. they can suggest.

To show i'm not all take and no give, here's one simple craft activity I have done for lowe ele. to toddlers:

Make a Reindeer:
time: 15-20 min. (longer for kindergarten and below)
materials: scissors, pens, 3 shades of construction paper, glue

1. Cut out a triangle with rounded tips using light brown construction paper(this will be the face)
2. Trace the students hands onto dark construction paper (horns) and cut out.
3. Cut out a circle from red or black construction paper (nose)
4. Glue the horns to the back of the face and the nose to the front of the face near the bottom. (The face should point down like a yeild sign.)
5. Draw in the eyes.
6. Write the students name and year on the back of their reindeer

Thanks - Mark

susan53 Nov 18th, 2006 12:47 pm

Re: 2006 Christmas lesson plans

3 Attachment(s)
Is it Christmas already ....

I'm attaching some Christmas materials for kids (my own) which anyone who likes them is free to use. You don't always need the page itself - it's sometimes just an activity description. But it was quicker to copy it than write it out again. Other times the activities use the characters from the book who won't mean anything to your kids. Substitute them with your own characters and also if necessary vocab items which the kids already know.

I'll have to do this in two messages, as the files are too heavy to send all at once. Here's 2nd and 3rd grade.

susan53 Nov 18th, 2006 12:52 pm

2 Attachment(s)
And here's 4th and 5th ...

Happy Christmas!

musica Nov 20th, 2006 06:24 pm

Mark you can also make that reindeer with a brown square of paper that you fold into a triangle so it can be opened as a Christmas card. That way you also get to write a simple Merry Christmas to _________ from ________ inside and they can give it as a card. I do this every year with my kids and they love it.

musica Nov 20th, 2006 06:26 pm

Folding paper to cut out Christmas trees and bells can introduce the ideas of symmetry to the class and also they can be decorated with paint, or glitter, glitter glue etc. Kids also love colouring stripes on to a candy cane cut from cardboard.

musica Nov 20th, 2006 06:27 pm

Oh and cutting out snowflakes is a favourite, but such fun to clean up. They look great on windows and hanging from the ceiling with the bells and stars.

mesmark Nov 20th, 2006 10:13 pm

I'm not sure how that got dug up or why it says '2006' but I posted that last year. Hmm...

But thanks for those suggestions, they'll work out great for this year.

simplyesl Nov 25th, 2006 01:45 am

I was really looking forward to doing a themed unit called "an aussie christmas" but, I returned to Australia... i won't be teaching that.. this year.

DevonT Dec 11th, 2006 08:56 am

teach-esl-to-kids.com has a simple Christmas lesson plan for young kids up.

clivehawkins Dec 11th, 2006 10:48 am

Quote:

Quote mesmark
Make a Reindeer:
time: 15-20 min. (longer for kindergarten and below)
materials: scissors, pens, 3 shades of construction paper, glue

1. Cut out a triangle with rounded tips using light brown construction paper(this will be the face)
2. Trace the students hands onto dark construction paper (horns) and cut out.
3. Cut out a circle from red or black construction paper (nose)
4. Glue the horns to the back of the face and the nose to the front of the face near the bottom. (The face should point down like a yeild sign.)
5. Draw in the eyes.
6. Write the students name and year on the back of their reindeer

Did the reindeer today - went down a treat! The only difference was that for the face we traced the foot of each kid, but other than that it was pretty much the same. The results were great and the kids loved it.
Thanks for the tip!

mesmark Dec 11th, 2006 05:05 pm

Quote:

Quote clivehawkins
Did the reindeer today - went down a treat!

Cool! I've done those about every other year and they're always such a simple success.

Whistleblower Dec 11th, 2006 08:10 pm

Craft Activities for your Kids

Make Your Own Snowman

For more ideas please visit the below website:
Christmas - Topics

For older students please click here. Hope it helps.

DevonT Dec 13th, 2006 10:15 am

One more simple craft, for anyone still looking: Merry Mice

Donney Dec 13th, 2006 11:42 am

That's a great page, thanks DevonT

DevonT Dec 14th, 2006 04:51 am

Yet one more simple craft worth keeping in your file of Christmas crafts...photo ornaments.

Donney Dec 14th, 2006 09:54 am

That's great I know what to do next week :)