eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   Teaching ESL (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/)
-   -   Best Free Student Resources (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/best-free-student-resources-5810/)

blackrock Sep 10th, 2007 11:51 am

Best Free Student Resources

I'm creating a list of resources for my students that they can use on their own to study English.

What are some of the best FREE online resources for studying English?

susan53 Sep 10th, 2007 04:14 pm

Re: Best Free Student Resources

The BBC site. It's not always easy to find the stuff you want because there's just so much. And it's not aimed at beginners. But for intermediate plus there's loads of good stuff. I particularly like the courses "10 days in Manchester" and "Welcome to London". Plus the listening material in the "Watch and Listen" section. And I use "News English" all the time with my advanced groups.
BBC Learning English | Home page

blackrock Sep 10th, 2007 04:35 pm

Yeah the BBC language sites are all very good resources.

DaveESL Sep 12th, 2007 09:24 am

I recently came across Larry Ferlazzo's website.

He has a HUGE directory of resources for both students and teachers. He also has a blog where he's always adding new links.

Chris88 Sep 20th, 2007 11:05 am

Hi Blackrock,

I'm an ESL university teacher in Tokyo, and have been doing it for 5 years. I've been using the free podcasts from Free English lessons | ESL podcasts and the students really like them. What I do is get them to download the podcasts onto their mp3 players, and then the next day in class we listen together and discuss. I also print out the dialogue of the podcasts and get the students to act them out. Sometimes we just discuss the content. I've searched for a while and I think these podcasts are the most interesting and suitable for intermediate to advanced ESL learners.
Free English lessons | ESL podcasts

Eric18 Sep 22nd, 2007 01:34 pm

Thanks for the valuable tip. I would also suggest that advanced students check out the BBC website and the Voice of America Special English podcasts. MP3 technology has certainly improved the learning opportunities for students around the world, and Free English Lessons and podcasts make a significant contribution.

HUE Sep 28th, 2007 05:21 am

If you want news lessons, or other listening files related to current events, take a look at my website, Heads Up English. I've been working on it slowly but steadily for a year now, so there's some variety there. You might also try another good site called Breaking News English.

mesmark Sep 28th, 2007 06:23 pm

I have some on-line games for students. mes-games.com

There are some vocabulary builders and a couple grammar games.