eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   Teaching ESL (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/)
-   -   Curriculum....too advanced? (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/curriculum-too-advanced-19633/)

Bkduran Oct 22nd, 2010 08:13 am

Curriculum....too advanced?

Hi all! I sure hope to get some feedback here! I have started teaching English at an elementary school in Mexico. I teach all six grades approx 40 min each (in their regular classrooms) twice a week.
Initially I was not given any books or materials, so for the past month I have been pretty much just going over really basic beginner stuff like introductions, numbers, and varied vocab.
The school principal has ordered a series of books from Richmond Publishing House called Join In.....they are numbered 1-6. I am supposed to use book 1 in first grade, book 2 in second and so forth.....My problem is that from what I can tell the books seem to follow a sequence and I think I am going to have a very hard time trying to get the 4th -6th graders to understand the more advanced concepts of the text books when in reality they are absolute beginners.
Has anyone else encountered this type of problem? I really don't want the kids to become uninterested in English because they just don't get it!
Please help!

Bkduran Oct 23rd, 2010 06:09 pm

Re: Curriculum....too advanced?

Just wanted to update for anyone who may have read my post.....I successfully spoke to the principal and she agreed to allow me to use only the first two books in the curriculum. I think this will work much better, and I hope the students will remain interested in learning English!

alawton Oct 25th, 2010 10:49 am

I have had a similar situation. I worked in a middle school and the district adopted new books. They were divided up by grade level. So my 8th grade students, who were brand new to English, had to work out of the 8th grade books. The 8th grade books taught more advanced grammar concepts than the sixth grade book, which started with basic grammar and vocabulary. I was told to do it this way, even though it made no sense. I ended up using the lower grade books with my beginner students regardless of their age. Through their science, history, math and whatever more classes they took they got their grade level appropriate instruction while they took time to improve their English. This seems like the only logical way to go... Good luck!

IbuLulu Feb 3rd, 2011 08:14 am

Yes, I've had a similar situation; I started them all at the same level, because that was what they all needed - to start at the beginning! Then each year they could advance. Better they should learn some basics than nothing at all, and it's so demotivating to struggle away at something that is way beyond your level.