eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   Teaching ESL (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/)
-   -   Defining a native speaker (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/defining-native-speaker-2925/)

emile Dec 19th, 2006 07:19 pm

Defining a native speaker

How would you define a native speaker of English?

1 A person who speaks English as their best or first language?

2 A person who comes from a country where English is the language most widely spoken?

3 other...?

susan53 Dec 20th, 2006 07:33 am

Re: Defining a native speaker

Ho ho - a hornet's nest. An area with lots of shades of grey I think. The extremes are easy, but in the middle??? My son is definitely a native speaker of Italian, but is he also a NS of English? He's never lived in an English speaking country for more than a month, but he's been brought up speaking English, and speaks fluently, and idiomatically - but with very occasional interference errors due to Italian, and probably not exactly the same as a British kid of his age would. So ....???

mesmark Dec 20th, 2006 08:03 pm

3. I define NS as having fluent or near fluent command of English.

fluent or near fluent command - define that! :eek:

Like Sue said, you can be a NS of more than one language.

emile Jan 2nd, 2007 07:37 pm

Quote:

I define NS as having fluent or near fluent command of English.

fluent or near fluent command - define that!

It could be defined using the IELTS or ALTE levels, but wouldn't a native speaker have perfect fluency?

simplyesl Jan 3rd, 2007 02:07 am

I think it would be combination of 1 and 2. Even if you are really fluent in many (or more than 1) I think there would be one language that the speaker would "translate" from. For example; I can speak understand Chinese, however, I still translate it into English in my brain before/after I have heard/said anything. No matter how good someone is at a language, if they are still translating words/sentences from the language into their base language, then I will only go as far as to define them as Near Native Speaker. Harsh, I know, but that's just what i think.

emile Jan 3rd, 2007 07:56 pm

Quote:

No matter how good someone is at a language, if they are still translating words/sentences from the language into their base language, then I will only go as far as to define them as Near Native Speaker
That sounds fair to me. If you translate when you speak, you will be using English 'thought-patterns' to present Chinese sentences. In the case of Chinese, ever noticed how some students get the grammar correct but still somehow don't sound natural?

simplyesl Jan 9th, 2007 02:09 am

Quote:

Quote emile
In the case of Chinese, ever noticed how some students get the grammar correct but still somehow don't sound natural?

YES!!!