eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   Teaching ESL (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/)
-   -   dictogloss vs. dictation? (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/dictogloss-vs-dictation-1056/)

openmind May 20th, 2006 04:12 am

dictogloss vs. dictation?

Hi, have you ever used a dictogloss in your classroom? Are you familiar with the differences between a dictogloss and a dictation? How often do you have your students write down phrases and check their spelling?

little sage May 21st, 2006 02:06 am

Re: dictogloss vs. dictation?

OK, I'm intrigued. What's a dictogloss?

I love doing dictations (when I'm learning a language, and when I'm teaching). For some reason, I think it's fun! Since most students disagree, I don't do it that often, it depends on the class. I try to keep dictations either short or interactive.

My favourite way of doing dictations is to prepare the sentences ahead of time, give each student one sentence, and have them read it to the class. Then dictation becomes pronunciation practice, too.

Please tell me what a dictogloss is! :confused:

Karen

openmind May 23rd, 2006 12:03 pm

Hi Karen,

A dictgloss is a bit more complex than a dictation. You can do it in different ways. For example, you can read a short paragraph to your group and they have to listen. You can read the text several times so it will be easier for them to memorize it. Then you dictate some keywords that appear in the text (not entire sentences though). Your students have to try and reproduce the complete paragraph based on the keywords you dictated them so they will have to try and fill the gaps themselves. There a number of ways you can change and use the dictogloss depending on what level your students are and on particular language skill you want to focus on.
Let me know what you think,
Torsten

emile May 23rd, 2006 08:11 pm

...the skill that they practise would be to get all the 'little' words right, such as using the right prepositions and articles.

I think dictation is a great method used in moderation. It really helps students understand the connection between spoken and written English as well as the differences between what they hear and what they think they hear.

mesmark May 24th, 2006 04:19 am

I do very little dictation but the dictogloss idea sounds cool, so I might have to start and work up to that. getting all the little words right is a real challenge and I think it can be presented in a fun way that the students won't shrug too hard at.

Thanks!

openmind May 24th, 2006 04:48 am

Hi Mark, the good thing with a dictogloss is that you can divide your group into small teams. Every team gets a large sheet of paper on which they have to restore the paragraph together. The students have to interact with each other, making proposals, reaching agreement, changing things etc....

riniRising Dec 29th, 2010 11:45 am

...first i'm sorry for my bad structure,i would like to ask in what skill does the dictogloss work better,writing skill or listening skill?:):)

elkler Feb 18th, 2011 01:15 pm

I'm wondering if this would work well with low-level students. My students like dictation. I teach adult immigrants, and they get very confused about prepositions & articles. I guess I would go for overall comprehension...
To riniRising, I'd guess dictogloss is multi-skill oriented, it helps both listening & writing skills. Also I imagine speaking, when the groups are negotiating meaning while reconstructing the original piece.