eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Oct 8th, 2008, 04:33 am
eslHQ Member

xorangejenx is on a distinguished road
Red face 5th and 6th graders....HELP

I'm having trouble teaching my 5th and 6th graders english. I teach my 5th and 6th graders all in 1 class. The problem i'm having is that the english levels between the 5th and 6th graders is a big difference. My 6th graders are really good at english and the book i'm using with them is too easy for them. It's so easy to them that they can use some of the sentences in the book and add more to it. For example if one of the key expressions is "I rode my bike." they can write it as "I rode my bike because I was bored."

As for my 5th graders, the book is a little hard. It is hard for them in a way that they don't understand the key expressions presented in the book. Nor can they make long sentences like the 6th graders.

So what should I do?...I don't know what to teach them. Or how to alter it

One person told me to have different worksheets for them one harder and one easier. Its a good idea but the problem is I don't want them to do worksheets all the time becase its an after school class.
Unread Oct 8th, 2008, 10:49 am
eslHQ Addict

Beatrix is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 5th and 6th graders....HELP

I think you should follow your friend's advice...I don't see how they can possibly participate in the same activities since their is such a wide gap between their levels
Unread Oct 9th, 2008, 03:30 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 5th and 6th graders....HELP

Well, you don't have to separate them just for worksheets. You can separate them for speaking exercises as well. Pair work and even group work can be done separately.

I'd probably teach to the lower level and then when we start practicing in a game or something work with the more advanced students to build onto what we are already doing.

Mixed levels are always a challenge, but reviewing the basics isn't bad for anyone. Having a solid firm understanding of those lower levels makes more complex sentences much easier to manage.

Good luck!