eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   Teaching ESL (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/)
-   -   Do you give rewards in class? (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/do-you-give-rewards-class-12885/)

teachingenglishmadeeasy Jun 17th, 2009 04:12 am

Do you give rewards in class?

You know, for students doing well on an exam? I have read a lot of research against it. I know. But, from time to time, I feel as though it doesn't hurt as long as the students don't begin to expect a reward. When the expectation of a reward sets in, then yes, I agree it's not good. However, when it doesn't, I feel, it's a nice thing to do for the students (give one to all students, not just the good students).

me.

English-coach Jun 17th, 2009 06:14 am

Re: Do you give rewards in class?

I think you can make it so it is not a physical reward. I make a points system and divide the class into groups. So if you do your homework you get points for your team. The kids seem to love it and it incourages participation etc. On the other hand rewards can really boost moral in the class...even something like a sticker is great.

teachingenglishmadeeasy Jun 17th, 2009 06:28 am

Quote:

Quote English-coach (Post 22450)
I think you can make it so it is not a physical reward. I make a points system and divide the class into groups. So if you do your homework you get points for your team. The kids seem to love it and it incourages participation etc. On the other hand rewards can really boost moral in the class...even something like a sticker is great.

I agree. I just don't understand some of these people that are vehemently against tangible rewards. Shoot, life is one big quid pro quo. I don't care how you slice it, it is.

mesmark Jun 17th, 2009 01:11 pm

I believe in giving rewards
Printable Certificates, Certificate Maker, Free Award Certificates, Blank Awards and More

I think the reward needs to be earned and I think the reward needs to represent the task. If you give a reward for handing in homework - bad. That's a responsibility, not something that needs to be rewarded. If you give a reward at the end of the year to a student that handed in all of their homework on time - good.

Also, the reward needs to acknowledge the accomplishment. It doesn't need to be a bribe. So, I give away small prizes very sparingly. A sticker or an award certificate are plenty.

Here's an interesting thread on what some teachers give aaway as prizes.
MES-English.com :: View topic - How many of you teachers give presents/prizes?

HUE Jun 17th, 2009 07:38 pm

I don't give rewards per se, but I give lots of praise... which is a type of reward. If an activity went well, they struggled but tried on an especially difficult activity, or go above my expectations, I let the student/class know it. My experience has been that a constant and consistent flow of praise gets the class to meet their personal goals and my expectations.

Conversely, when they don't do well, they get advice and criticism. Both go hand in hand, I think. (Of course, I have to make sure the problem wasn't because of me. If, for example, I didn't explain the grammar so well and then there are a lot of mistakes later in the lesson, the students don't rightly deserve criticism. The blame rests with me.)

teachingenglishmadeeasy Jun 17th, 2009 09:36 pm

Quote:

Quote HUE (Post 22466)
I don't give rewards per se, but I give lots of praise... which is a type of reward. If an activity went well, they struggled but tried on an especially difficult activity, or go above my expectations, I let the student/class know it. My experience has been that a constant and consistent flow of praise gets the class to meet their personal goals and my expectations.

Conversely, when they don't do well, they get advice and criticism. Both go hand in hand, I think. (Of course, I have to make sure the problem wasn't because of me. If, for example, I didn't explain the grammar so well and then there are a lot of mistakes later in the lesson, the students don't rightly deserve criticism. The blame rests with me.)

That's good. I like that. I do give praise, but sometimes I feel a little something extra, something tangible, goes a long way. For example, my uni. classes have finals this week; their English final was last week. So, I bought each of them a carton of milk. They were speechless and extremely appreciative. I do think they enjoyed it and it wasn't something I usually do.

floria Dec 1st, 2015 01:53 pm

I know it is an old thread but i think it needs to be update with year 2016. Yes we should appreciate students by giving physical awards but only for their good numbers in exams. Now days kids like to be motivated by frequent awards for their achievements in many fields. You can motivate kids by giving awards for regular in classroom or for being neat and clean in whole month etc. These kind of awards will appreciate kids to do self improvement things. You can get these type of award certificate templates from online and can print multiple copies at home. Thanks to the technology.

KAJChina Mar 17th, 2016 09:21 pm

Stickers are like currency in my classes, the kids collect them in their books, wear them on their faces and even trade them with other kids for snacks.
I've found I can use other, nontangible reward systems too, though. The points system works great, with the class divided into teams. High-fiving students for correct pronounciation and sometimes just giving a thumbs up and showing that I'm really pleased and excited by how well they've done works well too.