eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Mar 31st, 2010, 08:25 pm
eslHQ Member

jessteacherkorea is on a distinguished road
Default AH! so many beginner students!

So, I teach an afterschool class of 30 3-4th Grade Korean students. Most have very low English...When I ask "How are you" I get the response "It's sunny." Many also don't listen to me. My classroom is shaped terribly and the front of the class is so far away from many students that half my kids can't hear easily. I'm getting the management part for the most part, except for them listening...but It's high stress for me, and I don't feel like I'm teaching half of them anything. I'm completely on my own and just don't know what to do to keep the ones at the back of the classroom paying attention when no one can really understand me in the first place. Any suggestions?
Unread Mar 31st, 2010, 09:20 pm
eslHQ Zealot

Dave-B is on a distinguished road
Default Re: AH! so many beginner students!

Well, is the issue the classroom set up? If so, make some changes. I can't imagine that with 30 students half of them are so far away they can't hear you.

Is it that the ones in the back are messing around because they don't feel they are directly supervised?

Perhaps you could explain the situation a bit more and we could think of some ideas.
Unread Mar 31st, 2010, 11:23 pm
eslHQ Member

I have a remodeled classroom that takes up the size of 2 classrooms, lengthwise. The tables have 4 students to a desk and have computers that rise from them and cannot be moved. My far students sit around 20 feet away from the front of the class (I'm not exaggerating). I use my computer to project what I do to the students' computers so that they can see what I'm trying to teach them. They cannot see the whiteboard from where they are.
Unread Apr 1st, 2010, 02:55 pm
eslHQ Zealot

Changing the classroom, or finding a new space would be best, but it doesn't seem like that is an option.

Here are some ideas:

Mix the students up so they are sitting with people they are less likely to talk to.

Do more group work and student-centered activities rather than lecture style teaching. This will allow you to monitor the students by walking around the class.

Cut down on your teacher-talk time.

Lastly, don't stress it too much. Realize they are in grade 3 and they are not going to learn too much English, at least not that they will remember. Simply giving them a chance to enjoy the language and have a positive experience learning English will help their future studies more than you can imagine.

So, you have computers in your class? Do they have internet? You may be able to use them more to your advantage.
Unread Apr 2nd, 2010, 04:10 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road

I agree with the advice Dave gave.

I'll add that if the students aren't focused, maybe the content is too difficult for them. Maybe, take it back a notch and make the content and tasks simpler. What are you teaching and what sorts of language tasks or activities are you doing with them?
Unread Apr 4th, 2010, 07:30 pm
eslHQ Member

I just started the class, so I haven't gotten that much teaching in. I've been teaching them classroom rules so far, and understanding me when I say stuff like, "Get out your notebooks"

I'm going to start a small unit on health today, "I have a cold, I have a headache" etc. I also gave them some English dictionaries and we will fill them out a little each class. They will add to it each them they learn new words and that seems to be working well so far.

No, they don't have computers, just computer screens. The class used to, but the older students would tear the keys off the key boards and buttons off the mouse, so we removed the computer option from class. I still use the monitors to project my computer screen to each table, otherwise the far students wouldn't be able to see the board.

Thanks for helping! I appreciate all the suggestions I can get!!
Unread Apr 5th, 2010, 10:00 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road

Well, with groups that age, I first just focus on the vocabulary, "a headache", "a fever", etc.

We might spend a period or two just on the vocabulary. Then I'll add, "He has ..." and "what's wrong?" in on the third period. However, my groups know what "he" and "have/has" mean.

Kids this age will take to some formulaic speech and make use of it, but expecting a group of 30 to all break it down and understand the parts might not happen. Usually, at that age they haven't learned grammar in their L1. Everything needs to be taught very slowly and build. Make sure they understand "he", "I" and have some concept of what "have" might mean, possession/on person - it may even be more abstract or not match up in Korean. In Japanese most of the symptoms "come out". It's not something you "have".

I assume if you're having a lot of troubles, it's because they've been taught a lot of formulas - "How's the weather?" - "It's sunny." But they don't know how to use the parts.
Unread Apr 5th, 2010, 06:01 pm
eslHQ Zealot

bread_baker is on a distinguished road

When I teach the health unit to my Beginning High adult students, I make sure they know the main parts of the body before I teach illnesses and symptoms. Clip art is available for parts of the body as well as illnesses and symptoms.
Another thing you can do is have them act out the illness or symptom.
Unread Apr 5th, 2010, 10:55 pm
eslHQ Zealot

I definitely agree with Bread_Baker that teaching the body parts is the first step.

"Simon Says" is my favourite game for practicing body vocabulary. The kids love it, and it gives them a chance to get up and move around.
Unread Apr 14th, 2010, 07:11 am
clever

clevermae is on a distinguished road

Hmn, is there a way to divide the class into at least two? I find 30 way too many. Some of the kids will be needing one-on-one moments, and I can't imagine how you can do that with 30 kids.