eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   Teaching ESL (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/)
-   -   English lesson plan on education topic (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/english-lesson-plan-education-topic-18444/)

clarity Sep 3rd, 2010 03:18 am

English lesson plan on education topic

I'm back now and thanks for the help from everybody here.After one year of maternity leave ,i have to give courses to my "children". Next week (NOw it is Friday),i need to givethe first course and the topic is education(It's arranged by the boss).i do not know how to start the course .Actually the students are not good at English but they must read very hard article ,boring, and i hope i can find something interesting to inspire them. so can someone offer some tips on how to start this topic.i want some music on campus life or it is inspirational .I find the song I Believe I can Fly which is inspirational but is there someone simple? I can not find songs on campus life. And there are any games or activities or worksheetS? Thanks for your help.

bread_baker Sep 7th, 2010 04:58 pm

Re: English lesson plan on education topic

If it was up to me, and there was time, I'd probably conduct a small group discussion. I'd prepare ahead of time a list of questions about education. Then in class I'd put them on the board and tell the class that these questions are for a small group dicsussion, and "stay on the topic." After the groups have discussed, one person from each group shares with the class. (You may get ideas for future activities.)
At my school, if something is really hard, students may drop out of the class. If that is the case at your school, before showing them that hard article you could have the class do other things to get ready. You would help them a lot if you could bring up their English skills a little before they face the article.

clarity Sep 8th, 2010 05:14 am

thanks a lot

alawton Sep 8th, 2010 12:24 pm

Hello,

When you say that the class topc is education do you mean that the students will be learning English terms that are used in a classroom/educational setting? If you are looking for music that is about education or even campus life I don't know if you will find any. When I use music to teach my beginners I like to pick Beatles songs. The words are clear and the earlier Beatles lyrics are appropriate for any age group. Whenever the kids seem burnt out I will print out a few Beatles songs and I will have them listen while looking at the words. although my students would prefer hard core rap, they seem to always like this activity. Maybe I do this when I am burnt out....:)

clarity Sep 9th, 2010 08:09 am

Thanks a lot

susan53 Sep 10th, 2010 02:21 am

How about Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the wall", Alice Cooper's "School's out for summer" or "The Graduation Song - Friends Forever". They're all on You Tube.

clarity Oct 8th, 2010 10:58 pm

Thanks for your advice