eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   Teaching ESL (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/)
-   -   fluency versus accuracy (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/fluency-versus-accuracy-1275/)

NONO7 Dec 15th, 2008 11:57 am

Re: fluency versus accuracy

Hey there
Could u please give me more specific information about accuracy and why is it important?

NWDC Dec 17th, 2008 01:03 am

Just a quick thought. If by fluency one means grammar, and by accuracy one means vocabulary, pronunciation, making the right word choices, and certain other elements of language not directly related to syntax, then of course both are very important.

However, if we are judging someone's overall success with a language, whether it be her first or second, then I think we ought to give considerable weight to her fluency, her grammar, that is, how well she has mastered the rules of putting words together to generate meaning.

We use language to facilitate communication, but without linguistic fluency, how can one properly and effectively communicate ? I think a student who is fluent but not necessarily consistenly accurate is in a better place than a student with great pronunciation and an excellent knowledge of things, actions, etc., but who cannot string words together well or remember how to conjugate verbs, thus sounding, perhaps, a little broken.

prinraj.iyer Aug 2nd, 2010 05:21 am

dears,
i'm a new to this. fluency? or accuracy? a very good topic.
how a child learns his mother tongue? initially the child commits mistakes. later focus on grammar or accuracy aspects. like that let the learners to have fluency first. then they can focus on grammar aspects

B52H Feb 2nd, 2011 09:14 am

Prinraj and NONO7, the definition of fluency is to let the students practise, errors and all. Accuracy of pronunciation and recitation of the sentence is important during the drilling stage. (RE: Modelling and drilling).

Whole chapters have been written on the area of fluency vs accuracy. The by-word is, to drill the students on their pronunciation (must be accurate) and then let them have freer practise (fluency phase). You can correct their spoken errors during the feedback to error phrase of your lesson.

tomhume89 Feb 14th, 2011 10:07 pm

If a student is talking, I would never stop them or correct their words afterwards (if they're small mistakes that is!), as I think confidence is the key to fluency and then accuracy. They all follow each other.

obama5493 Mar 17th, 2011 03:12 am

Quote:

Quote Mr. E English (Post 4947)
Yes, I agree with you - the decision we must take as to accuracy over fluency in our teaching does depend on level.

I agree with you too,So what do you think if we consider that for beginner and elementry fluency is more important than accuracy and for pre-intermed and intermed accuracy is more important than fluency and for upper intermed and advance level both fluency and accuracy are important.

EFLMikeUK Jan 3rd, 2012 02:33 am

For me they are not just distinct criteria but also indicate entirely different things. Accuracy is normally a mixture of understanding of a grammar structure and enough vocabulary to communicate the point. In my experience it is best to give corrections at the level that the student is studying at.

Fluency on the other hand I have found to be more a mixture of student attitude and confidence. Asking a student which is better 'Tuesday night or a Hamburger' - a patently silly question that has no correct answer and therefore no way to make a mistake. That kind of thing has made students more comfortable at hamming language together - which hopefully results in more fluency further down the road.

So - I think they are both important but indicate different things.