eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   Teaching ESL (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/)
-   -   Formal Training? (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/formal-training-13109/)

teachingenglishmadeeasy Jul 6th, 2009 05:42 pm

Formal Training?

A lot of people that get into this business do not have formal training. I didn't before I got into it. Then, I went and got my master's. Do you think people really need formal training to do a good job?

HUE Jul 9th, 2009 01:08 am

Re: Formal Training?

Yes, you need training to be a good or great teacher, I think. But it doesn't have to be formal, and can simply be self-study, assessment, and a desire to learn from successes/mistakes.

By formal training, I assume a degree or certificate after formal study and a test. Alternatively, there's in-house training, which can also be effective. This is important, but improvement can also be had by reading and assessing.

Informal training is just what you do on your own. It's an ongoing process, and perhaps more important than a certificate or degree. The learning and improvement process shouldn't stop because you now have a piece of paper.

Any others with thoughts on the subject?

emile Jul 12th, 2009 04:08 am

I taught both before and after formal training and I think it did make a major difference. There's no teacher like experience, however.

Also, some of the 'formal training' can be of a really poor standard.

HUE Jul 12th, 2009 09:58 pm

Quote:

Quote emile (Post 22909)

Yes, unfortunately that's true. It's important to look at training as a chance to confer with more experienced colleagues. However, the trainee also needs to use critical thinking and assess what works, what doesn't, and what's best for his educational philosophy.

Here's a good link on learning:

anderson and krathwohl - beyond bloom

teachingenglishmadeeasy Jul 13th, 2009 03:59 am

Quote:

Quote emile (Post 22909)
I taught both before and after formal training and I think it did make a major difference. There's no teacher like experience, however.

Agreed. Formal training helps, but, do you really need it? This reminds me of the age-old argument - education vs. experience. The teacher that has been in the classroom for 10 years vs. the newbie that just started fresh with his or her shiny new MA in TESOL. Which is better?

STCrowley Jul 16th, 2009 08:21 am

I think it can't be overlooked that it's easier to get a job with a certificate of some kind. . . meaning formal training (which I don't have) leads to more experience.

I think I'm doing fine without it, but I spend a lot of time thinking about what works and what doesn't.