eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Aug 30th, 2009, 06:01 pm
eslHQ Member

Klee is on a distinguished road
Red face First BASIC class?

Hey guys,

I've been teaching for a few months now but am used to teaching High Intermediate - Conversational groups. I have been asked to take on a BASIC group of 3 adults. However, although they are at different basic levels and understand some English, they want me to start from the very beginning "Hello..." etc. they also want me to use the book that they have provided (even though it does not have the CD with it nor any of the teacher's materials).

My first class is on Tuesday and I have a very simple question.
- How do I start the very first lesson? I have to assume that they speak no English at all (even though I know that they do) but I'm also not so great at speaking their language (although I can attempt) and I do not really like to start off by setting the example that other languages in the classroom and translations are ok.

Should I just say hello and jump straight in... with how are you? different ways to say them...etc etc or???

I guess I just have a case of first class nerves again!

Many thanks for your advice!
Unread Aug 31st, 2009, 06:36 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

ICAL_Pete is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First BASIC class?

Keep things simple. Use plenty of gestures and try to introduce a few very basic phrases without rushing them.

By the end of the class they should be able to say, for example,

"Hello"
"My name is X"
"His/Her name is Y"

And have plenty of practice and confidence to do so. If they are good students and have mastered these easily, by all means using the same techniques of gesture, repetition and practice then move on to further phrases they will find useful:

"I am from London"
"He is from America"

and so on.

There are detailed instructions on this lesson here.
Unread Sep 20th, 2009, 10:32 am
eslHQ Member

Klee is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much for your response and sorry for the late reply!

The classes are going very well. We now know hellos, good byes, nationalities, countries, languages, alphabet, numbers... it's going very well.

Thank you for calming my nerves!
Unread Nov 9th, 2009, 08:37 am
eslHQ Member

nelsonclassic is on a distinguished road

Hello friend,
Starting a new class and of different language is really a different task.I think they understand a bit English so you can start up with Hello and giving your introduction and then continue your teaching process but after sometime if you you feel that if most of them are not taking interest in your subject then you can start talking with them on any general talking,it will give them time to understand and make them feel comfortable with you.
This way or the other try to make them feel comfortable with you.

Regards,
Nelson