eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Nov 10th, 2010, 09:30 am
12many

liztom71 is on a distinguished road
Default teaching young kids using only English

Hi. I'd love to hear people's advice and experience in using only English during lessons, particularly with primary age children.
I was trained as a secondary school French/German teacher in the UK 10 years ago and taught for a few years before having my own kids. We were taught that it was always best to use the target language during lessons, and I totally agree with the principle, though I didn't find it easy to do, mainly, I think, because I didn't have the confidence to do it.
Now I've been in Italy for 2 years and have been teaching (mainly privately) for the last year. I have 3 small groups of primary kids (friends of my own children), as well as a few 1-1 lessons with teenagers and adults.
I do believe that using only English is the best way to go....and I'm not finding it difficult to do with the more advanced students, but I'm not doing so well with the little ones. I speak fluent Italian and I too often find myself explaining something to them in Italian, because it's easier and quicker.
What do you find works best? 100% English, a mix of English and native language for some explanations, a specific section of the lesson (beginning or end) in the native language...? All advice gratefully received!
Unread Nov 10th, 2010, 09:41 am
12many

Default Re: teaching young kids using only English

Does anyone also have any good internet links for general tips and advice on teaching efl to young children?
Unread Nov 10th, 2010, 01:28 pm
eslHQ Zealot

alawton is on a distinguished road

I think the experts will tell you that 100% English is the way to go, but I'm not so sure one has to be that militant. I will explain a grammar topic in Spanish to my class to really get the point across. I think it depends on the type of class you are teaching and how often you see them. If you only see a specific class once or twice a week I think you should explain things in the native language if it is really important. If you see a class everyday you have the luxury of time and repetition so English can be more frequently. I don't know if others agree with me...
Unread Nov 10th, 2010, 03:01 pm
12many

Yes, I see what you mean. The frequency of lessons makes a big difference.
Obviously with the younger children I not doing anything in the way of explicit grammar, so no need for explaining difficult grammatical concepts!
Interested to see if anyone has anything else to add.
Thanks
Liz
Unread Nov 10th, 2010, 07:07 pm
eslHQ Member

eaturcheese is on a distinguished road

In Japan at private conversation schools, they discourage native English teachers from using any Japanese. Some schools will have Japanese teachers who teach grammar.

Currently I'm teaching at public elementary schools and kindergartens. I'm not supposed to use Japanese, but I will ask the students how to say the target sentence in Japanese after I give a lot of examples and context. The brighter kids understand, and I know if their translation is accurate. Those students are also a huge help when I demonstrate an activity, and then they can explain it in Japanese to the rest of the class. Sometimes I will let the kids ask me questions in Japanese, and I answer in English. My formal lessons are 45 minutes once a week, so I will occaisionally use a Japanese word or sentence to fill the knowledge gap or explain a concept in a game.

Learning Japanese, I find that I've reached the level where translating everything back and forth isn't helping me improve, and I learn things best in the target language. For students who are just starting out or are low level, using their native language can be helpful. In my adult classes, I even try to teach grammar only in English, and most of the time they have no trouble understanding.

As a general rule, I would avoid using the students' native language unless a moment arises when you need to explain a concept or idea that they are having difficulty grasping.
Unread Nov 11th, 2010, 03:34 pm
Teacher Trainer

LouannePiccolo is on a distinguished road

Hi Liz,

I teach in France and I'd agree with Andrew and eaturcheese. I'd say go with English as much as you can but I know that it's not always possible.

I have some classes I only see once a week and I always use short commands with them in English and have actually NEVER used them in French (like stand up, sit down, close your eyes, make a circle) because it's easy to say it and show it at the same time. Kids recognise the sentence after the first few lessons even if they can't say it.

However, if I want to play a new game that my kids are not familiar with, I do explain it in French and then I go back to English as soon as they have understood how to play.
I don't tie them up and whip them for speaking to me in French but I will answer in English with lots of gestures, silly faces and finger-pointing to get the message across.
Unread Nov 11th, 2010, 04:03 pm
12many

Thanks for the advice. Now I don't have a guilty conscience about using Italian here and there!
Unread Nov 15th, 2010, 02:42 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

tinyteachinthemaking is on a distinguished road

Hello Liz;
I'm teaching at a private language school in Rome and have a class of young learners (ages 7-10). Although we should always use the target language with them, it's not always possible nor is it automatic. I admit to using Italian when giving instructions, because it is easier and quicker as you say. I know the kids shouldn't get used to having things constantly translated for them (in my case it's harder not to because I am bilingual).
Don't worry too much about it, we've all done it! ;-)