eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jun 22nd, 2009, 06:10 pm
eslHQ Member

wise_miser37 is on a distinguished road
Default Help needed for an adolescent discussion group!

Hi all,

I am leading a discussion group for adolescents about 13-14 years of age for a summer camp. None of the students seem very enthused about being here and are quiet as brick walls when we are trying to converse. They are from Taiwan and their English is a little above poor, from what I can muster. The problem is trying to get dialogue out of them, which is like pulling teeth from a very strong set of gums. I have to resort to using some Mandarin just so that I am not the only one blabbing on and on. Even when I ask them questions, they just stare at their feet or nod and say 'yes' when they blatantly do not understand me. I speak very slowly and have told them to ask if they do not understand or have questions. I have tried to bond with them via bowling, board games, etc. What is one to do?? I'm running out of ideas and have three more weeks to go!!

Thanks all,
Dor
Unread Jun 27th, 2009, 10:21 am
eslHQ Zealot

STCrowley is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help needed for an adolescent discussion group!

My first question would be this: do the topics interest them? Be willing to talk about girls, sex, school, why school sucks (that's one of the few topics that I got my teenagers animated about--more on them in a second), or whatever they're really interested in. Or, have them teach you about something. (This has worked well for me, too. They love asking me questions and finding out I don't know.)

What I really wanted to say, though, is that some students are more difficult than others. Have they been sent to the camp because they're difficult? The only teenagers I've ever had were a pair of teenaged brothers whose parents paid for our school (private language school--expensive) because the kids were impossible. All I could get them to talk about where school being stupid, hating the Army (their father was in the German Army. They had to learn English because he was being sent to the U.S.) and fishing. The one who barely never spoke was willing to do--no exaggeration--a half hour presentation on the fantasy world in his favorite series of novels. He treated me like an idiot with each question I asked, but he answered them.

Does that help at all? I'm game to brainstorm with you, if you think you're already using 'cool' topics.
-Toby
Unread Jul 3rd, 2009, 08:02 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

jellybeanenglisch is on a distinguished road

Pop Stars or Film Stars.
Have them cut out their favorite stars from magazines and describe them. This can range from " He has got brown hair" to " she is wearing a ridiculously short skirt" - you get the idea
Good luck!
Unread Jul 4th, 2009, 05:24 am
eslHQ Addict

teachingenglishmadeeasy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote STCrowley View Post
Be willing to talk about girls, sex, .....
I would not recommend talking about sex with 13/14 year-old boys in a classroom or anywhere for that matter. OP, find out what they are interested in a build a complete lesson around it. Just asking questions won't do much unless:

A - You're enthusiastic about it (or at least pretend to be)
B - You have a complete lesson plan built around it
C - several other reasons....

If you want, check out my website and check out the speaking worksheets and handouts, ESPECIALLY the ones with videos. They may help you.

Free Downloadable Resources
www.ralphsesljunction.com
Unread Jul 4th, 2009, 10:35 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

jellybeanenglisch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote teachingenglishmadeeasy View Post
I would not recommend talking about sex with 13/14 year-old boys in a classroom or anywhere for that matter

Totally agree there. In some countries it might not be "politically correct" and you might embarrass yourself and your students
Unread Jul 29th, 2009, 03:52 pm
eslHQ Zealot

alawton is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I have plenty of experience with teaching English to that age group, and I know exactly how you feel! The replies I've seen to your post were similar to what I was thinking. Find out what interests them and talk about that. Another thing you can do to snap them out of their trance is to try a few vocabulary games/activities. I know this doesn't promote a conversation, but it almost always gets kids going. You can try the discussion after doing a game like hang man or pictionary. If you make the activity a competition the students get even more into it. I've never had success with getting a good discussion going if I haven't done some kind of warm up. I hope this helps.