eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Nov 14th, 2007, 08:14 am
eslHQ Member

Leighanna is on a distinguished road
Question How do you feel when you take on a new class?

I'm curious as to how others feel when they accept a new class. Personally, I get rather panicked. I think this is in part because of the preference of British English over American English in Sevilla and I speak American English. I also tend to be more of a shy person at times and thus am rather nervous at beginning a new class and having to get accustomed to new students. The new class that spurred on this question is a student looking to improve her fluency. While some may take this to be an easier class with less corrections and such, I'm always trying to find the balance between American and British pronunciations, grammar, terminology and idioms; and while they are not *that* different, they really are *that* different.
Unread Nov 14th, 2007, 09:27 am
Clive Hawkins

clivehawkins is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How do you feel when you take on a new class?

I love new classes, but even so I too get a little nervous. You never quite know what they're going to be like. I guess that's part of the fun. If they're nasty, it's a challenge to win them over. If they're nice, then all the better.

I always try to find what makes them tick, as a class and as individuals. If you can get them talking about their passions, showing interest and even some knowledge on the subject they'll usually warm to you pretty quickly.

Take the mickey out of yourself a bit too, that always goes down well. Show them you're human.
As for the British / American thing, just speak the way you normally do. Even in British English there are ways of saying things that differ from county to county. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much.

On the whole though, I like that buzz. Bit like a new girlfriend I suppose. New, curious, exciting at the beginning but at the end you can't stand the sight of them any more and are looking forward to moving on to the next one. (I'm joking, of course!)

Get TEFL qualified in Sardinia!:
Tefl in Sardinia
Unread Nov 15th, 2007, 02:59 am
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road

Generally the same as if I'm going on stage - the sort of terror that gets the adrenalin going and improves rather than hinders your performance.
Unread Nov 15th, 2007, 05:32 am
Clive Hawkins

Susan,
What do you do on stage? I'm curious.

Tefl in Sardinia
Unread Nov 15th, 2007, 04:27 pm
eslHQ Member

frizzi26 is on a distinguished road

I get very nervous
as on a stage, before a play, I feel tense, stressed...
and then the lesson starts and well, before you can think about it, the lesson is over!!
Unread Nov 19th, 2007, 09:29 pm
mind like a sieve

HUE is on a distinguished road

I'm always concerned about the abilities of the students, their strengths and weaknesses and needs. More than once I've been told to expect one thing, only to walk into the class to find something very, very different. I know the first class (or the first few classes) are important to connect with the students -- I don't want them bored, or to stop coming because it's too difficult.

At any rate, I usually plan too much for the first lesson, including at least one back up plan. I then usually dump 60% of that plan and wing it.
Just print and teach materials at Heads Up English.
Unread Nov 25th, 2007, 04:48 pm
eslHQ Enthusiast

Pernickety is on a distinguished road

Good question!
Always nervous, then come out on an adrenalin high! Usually.
I dread all the new names though, I'm not good with names
Unread Nov 26th, 2007, 07:45 pm
Sifu

emile is on a distinguished road

It'a actually better to be a little nervous than not nervous at all. It's your body's way of increasing adrenaline (why you feel jumpy) and making sure you concentrate fully on the task at hand.

Old hands who are less nervous tend to be sloppy in their presentation.
Unread Nov 27th, 2007, 05:08 pm
eslHQ Member

szilagyiannari is on a distinguished road

I think it's stressful in the first 10 minutes until they realize what an adorable person you are. And English teachers are adorable)But usually, or almost always, people respond to smiles. It's my best tip!
Unread Nov 27th, 2007, 05:21 pm
eslHQ Enthusiast

Pernickety is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote szilagyiannari View Post
And English teachers are adorable)
Unread Nov 28th, 2007, 04:32 am
eslHQ Member

szilagyiannari is on a distinguished road

Unread Nov 29th, 2007, 05:47 pm
eslHQ Member

Leighanna is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote clivehawkins View Post
I love new classes, but even so I too get a little nervous. You never quite know what they're going to be like. I guess that's part of the fun. If they're nasty, it's a challenge to win them over. If they're nice, then all the better.

I always try to find what makes them tick, as a class and as individuals. If you can get them talking about their passions, showing interest and even some knowledge on the subject they'll usually warm to you pretty quickly.

Take the mickey out of yourself a bit too, that always goes down well. Show them you're human.
As for the British / American thing, just speak the way you normally do. Even in British English there are ways of saying things that differ from county to county. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much.

On the whole though, I like that buzz. Bit like a new girlfriend I suppose. New, curious, exciting at the beginning but at the end you can't stand the sight of them any more and are looking forward to moving on to the next one. (I'm joking, of course!)

Good points, though I'm not completely sure what it means to "take the mickey out of yourself". I know it's a British phrase, but haven't had someone explain it yet.

Nice comparison. Though I was also usually was nervous when I first started dating someone new.
Unread Nov 30th, 2007, 01:57 am
Clive Hawkins

Quote:
Quote Leighanna View Post
Good points, though I'm not completely sure what it means to "take the mickey out of yourself". I know it's a British phrase, but haven't had someone explain it yet.

Nice comparison. Though I was also usually was nervous when I first started dating someone new.
To take the mickey out of someone means to make fun of, pull someone's leg, have a laugh at someone's expense. I usually do it by saying something that reinforces a stereotype of the English, but very much tongue in cheek. eg Don't call me at 3 o'clock as I'll be drinking a cup of tea, I listen to the national anthem before every lesson, Can they help me find my umbrella I seem to have misplaced, British food is the best in the world (that one certainly gets the Italians going!!)

How did the new class go, by the way?

Tefl in Sardinia
Unread Feb 2nd, 2008, 02:38 am
eslHQ Zealot

FionaVB is on a distinguished road

This is probably way to late for anyone to see, but...
I've only been teaching for 6 months, but I'm at a language school which tends to work in 15-week courses. Most students just roll from one course onto the next. Last Wednesday I had two new classes scheduled, one after the other, and before going to work I was examining my feelings to see if I was nervous or what. (I was, a little, but looking forward to it too. The beauty of the system is that even if the class is really awful, it will be over in a limited number of weeks.) Anyway, I got to the class, and I knew all the students - I had taught them for the course before their last one. And the second class was the same: they were among my first set of classes. And they actually cheered when I walked in the door! Was that ever a confidence-booster! The funny thing was that both classes hadn't been that much fun for me the first time round: both were noisy and difficult to control. But this time they were about half the size, which helped. (Maybe I'd scared half the students away?)