eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Feb 24th, 2008, 11:21 pm
eslHQ Addict

EngliPatrick is on a distinguished road
Default Where is the fine line?

Sometimes, ESL classrooms have two teachers working side-by-side each other. This is often referred to as 'team teaching'.

Even after almost 5 years of working in this field, I still have a hard time finding the line of how far the non-native speaking teacher has to make a mistake for you to openly correct them in class.

For example, today I had a teacher ask a student, "Who made this temple?" The student responded, "<Person's name> made this temple," but they were told that was incorrect. Another student responded, "The temple was made by <Person's name>," but they were told that answer was incorrect, also. When the teacher has completely baffled the students, he said: "<Person's name> did."

My question to you all is, how far does a teacher have to stray from acceptable English before you are willing to correct them on the spot? I'm not talking about a rude "YOU'RE WRONG," but a simple correction like, "The other responses are okay, also." Some small mistakes are okay to let go, but where do you draw the line?
Unread Feb 24th, 2008, 11:51 pm
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Where is the fine line?

If it's an obvious over-sight, like a misspelling or simple omition, I'll mention it in class. Especialy if it's on the board for students to copy down.

In your example the teacher was intentionally teaching something and I would address something like that after class. It could be that the teacher told them in Japanese to answer via the short test form they'll be required to use for the high school tests. But it might be worth mentioning that the teacher's dismissal of perfectly fine/communicative answers underminds what you are trying to accomplish in classes.

I think it may also depend on the other teacher as well. Some teachers are welcoming in regards to those types of comments and value that sort of help. Others find it very offensive and feel shamed in front of their class.
Unread Mar 22nd, 2008, 04:02 am
eslHQ Member

Bagga is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Where is the fine line?

If my team teacher is wrong, IN ANY WAY, I would respond quickly, but preferably by working from the particular to the general, by doing a quick summary of valid answers on the board, including the "... did" you use in your example.

Or by taking the team teacher to one side, explaining the problem to them, and allowing them the chance to amend what they said, or they way they said it...

In your example, there is a bit of a flaw in teaching technique, in my opinion. The TT should be saying "Well, ..... is good English, but for this exercise (or "in general", or "more usually in informal spoken English" whatever) "... did" is the best answer."

I am a nasty piece of work maybe, but my job is not to save face for a team teacher, or for a student - it is to improve the student's level of English. I currently teach 23 Chinese students at approaching IELTS level 6 (I hope!) and they are feeling a bit brutalised after our first 16 hours together. But they know it is my variation of tough love, and they have responded well. If I say their English is wrong, that doesn't diminish them, it improves them.

They were shocked when I told them that the Chinese lady who teaches another of their English classes was telling them the wrong way to pronounce a word - but now they know the right way, and her error is not their problem any more, it is hers and hers alone.

As to team teachers, sorry, but if they can't take the heat they must stay out of the kitchen.

(Ok guys - flame on!)